Light-O-Rama Forums

Pro Residential Controllers

HalloweenRob

Can you mix Pro and Residential controllers? I currently own a pro controller and want to expand my show from 16 to 32. To save some money can I add a residential controller without issue?

Thank you.

Yes you can definitely use both. I had a residential used this year along with nine of the pro models & 12 CCR controllers as well. All worked well together. I do however, prefer the pro versions though.
It's nice to set the ID of the controller at the unit instead of having to use the hardware utility.

Guest wbottomley

gmacw wrote:

Yes you can definitely use both. I had a residential used this year along with nine of the pro models & 12 CCR controllers as well. All worked well together. I do however, prefer the pro versions though.
It's nice to set the ID of the controller at the unit instead of having to use the hardware utility.

For $124 difference between the two... the hardware utility works great in my book! ;)

wbottomley wrote:

gmacw wrote:

For $124 difference between the two... the hardware utility works great in my book! ;)

Plus I thought I remember reading that the new G3 Showtime controllers were doing away with the rotary switches for the ID. Cheaper to make without them plus people were having problems with the switches breaking. Can anybody confirm this change? Plus seems to me there was some mention of a LCD display on the controller too.

Good point! Thats half a CCR!!!

Two of the controllers for the city show are 1602s. They just got relegated to spares for the spares this year. They just are not enough nicer to use, when they take different mounting, store differently, etc. And that is with them already paid for. I could see places where they have their benifits, but it just is not this display.

Surfing4Dough wrote:

wbottomley wrote:
gmacw wrote:
Plus I thought I remember reading that the new G3 Showtime controllers were doing away with the rotary switches for the ID.  Cheaper to make without them plus people were having problems with the switches breaking.   Can anybody confirm this change?  Plus seems to me there was some mention of a LCD display on the controller too. 

The rotary switches are gone. You now have an screen with up and down buttons to set unit ID.

Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet

Charles

I purchased the starter kit from LOR recently so I got the PRO 1602w controller. I was also wondering about the quality of the DIY controllers since I want to buy a few more controllers. The PRO controller seems built really nice...when you open it up there is a nice LCD display with push switches to change the settings, there's fuse housings that can be unscrewed, an on/off switch, and the jacks for the data cable. It also has a hole at the bottom for feeding in the data cable. I don't mind paying extra for a nicer product so I'm undecided which version I want to buy.

So for the DIY controllers do they have an access hole for the data cable cause I can't see one in any of the photos? Are the DIY controllers good for keeping rain/moisture out?

Thanks,

Gil

Gilrock wrote:

I purchased the starter kit from LOR recently so I got the PRO 1602w controller. I was also wondering about the quality of the DIY controllers since I want to buy a few more controllers. The PRO controller seems built really nice...when you open it up there is a nice LCD display with push switches to change the settings, there's fuse housings that can be unscrewed, an on/off switch, and the jacks for the data cable. It also has a hole at the bottom for feeding in the data cable. I don't mind paying extra for a nicer product so I'm undecided which version I want to buy.

So for the DIY controllers do they have an access hole for the data cable cause I can't see one in any of the photos? Are the DIY controllers good for keeping rain/moisture out?

Thanks,

Gil

The PC (DIY) controllers are built to be weather-proof. They are the same types of enclosures that most utility companies for attaching to the side of your house. Yes they have access hole for the cable. Never have had any moisture in any of my DIY boxes (from LOR). The more money you save on controllers, the more you can buy!

Thanks for the info about the DIY controller. When I ordered on Dec 20th I really didn't pay attention to the description...I ordered the starter package and thought I was getting a DIY controller not noticing that all the starter packages had the PRO controller. But the PRO controller is built pretty sweet so I don't mind the extra $70. Plus the DIY controller had this on the page:

Please be advised that it may be many weeks before we can deliver. (orders placed early will be delivered fairly quickly)

So ordering the PRO controller allowed me to have a show for a week this year...it shipped out the same day I ordered and I got the show running on Dec 27th.

Thanks,

Gil

-klb- wrote:

Two of the controllers for the city show are 1602s. They just got relegated to spares for the spares this year. They just are not enough nicer to use, when they take different mounting, store differently, etc. And that is with them already paid for. I could see places where they have their benifits, but it just is not this display.

Mounting consistency is one of the main reasons I've continued to purchase the Showtime controllers. But I also liked the address switches.

Now that everything has been redesigned I'll be rethinking my loyalty to the Showtime units. But I still might have to try to find a couple Gen1 units to finish out 2012 :D

rwertz wrote:

Now that everything has been redesigned I'll be rethinking my loyalty to the Showtime units. But I still might have to try to find a couple Gen1 units to finish out 2012 :D

Used 8 of the new showtime controller ths year with the digital display. They are very very sweet.