Light-O-Rama Forums

Clipboard verses Sequence file

scubado

I am planning on a larger jump in channel count this year and trying to figure out how to improves efficiency in sequencing. If I use the clipboard feature, how do I keep track of whats what? I've thought about making a sequence file that would contain various mini sequences of each element that I could copy and paste into the current sequence or just use it as a reference.
Right now, I'm finishing up getting the sequence editor to match up with the Visualizer and study up on the S3 user files for more ideas. Just curious what the pros are doing to help cut down sequencing time.

You can name the various things you save in clipboards.

Personally, I've found it to be too cumbersome for my brain to keep track of and remember what I've saved in clipboards, and then the moving back and forth between locked and unlocked, this and that, ying and yang... I use the archive file method you describe and keep animation files of some of the elements with the most complicated patterns, such as the Robin Wheel.

That was my experience when I tried using the clipboard too. Do you know if LOR will be making a revision where you can have two sequences open on different monitors?

You can have two sequences open (on different monitors or not) in the current version. You just can't have those sequences maximized (since maximizing takes up all available space).

Another option you might want to look into is the Paint Sequence tool.

I just tried opening two sequences and reduced their size, but I still can't get either sequence to move to the other screen. But, I got it to work doing this: Reduce the sequence Editor window, then stretch it across both monitors. Then open two sequences, not at maximum, and move one to one screen and the second one to the other screen. Hmmmmmm, you could stretch sequence Editor across 4 monitors...

Oh Honey, I need a couple more monitors!

Scubado, That's the way you do it...

I have 2 on my desktop at home, and 2, 4, & 2 on the 3 computers at my desk at work so I am VERY familiar with manipulating software to have things on different monitors.

Remember that all the sequences open have to fit within the sequence editor window. So in order to have the second sequence fit on the other monitor, the SE must cover both windows. You figured that out and described it perfectly.

BTW, there are software ways to have a detached window that can be outside of the main program window, but most software does not do that.

And one more thing, I understand the desire for more monitors. I am finding that my 2 22" at home are not enough. Since the second port on my video card has died (I'm hating having only 1 working monitor), I am going to replace the card with a video card that will support 4. Then add the 3rd monitor. We'll see about a 4th (but it would be nice if I can make enough space)...

k6ccc wrote:

Scubado, That's the way you do it...

I have 2 on my desktop at home, and 2, 4, & 2 on the 3 computers at my desk at work so I am VERY familiar with manipulating software to have things on different monitors.

Remember that all the sequences open have to fit within the sequence editor window. So in order to have the second sequence fit on the other monitor, the SE must cover both windows. You figured that out and described it perfectly.

BTW, there are software ways to have a detached window that can be outside of the main program window, but most software does not do that.

And one more thing, I understand the desire for more monitors. I am finding that my 2 22" at home are not enough. Since the second port on my video card has died (I'm hating having only 1 working monitor), I am going to replace the card with a video card that will support 4. Then add the 3rd monitor. We'll see about a 4th (but it would be nice if I can make enough space)...

When you upgrade your card, be sure to get one that has some decent horsepower and memory. My current one bugs the crap out of me, in order for me to watch for correct timing, I half to play at half speed, even with some of the suggestions posted to help lighten the load of the processor.

Nows a great time to snag up on monitors. I have a 23" inexpensive AOC brand 1080 monitor as my primary and love it.

What do you do at work with three computers and 8 monitors?!

One thing about me is that I tend not to do cheap. I learned that by bad example from my dad who always bought the cheapest he could find and then bitched about it being crap. I will buy a good video card.

This is now miles off-topic, but to answer your question, I run a regional public safety 2-way radio system.

The first computer (with 2 monitors) is my "normal" desktop that is used for everything from E-Mail, web browsing, radio inventory, creating and modifying the radio programming codeplugs, and also for watching the status of a completely separate citywide mesh data network. I would really like to split the functions so I can move the mesh system stuff to a separate computer with it's own 2 monitors.

The second is my primary radio system network management computer. It has 4 monitors that are used for monitoring and managing the 2-way radio system. The 4 monitors is a bare minimum.

The third computer is a secondary computer for monitoring ancillary functions relating to the 2-way radio system. I REALLY need to replace that with a newer computer that has 4 (or more) monitors as the 2 is not even close to enough.

Lastly there is a monitor for security video (9 cameras at the moment). We will be getting at least one more monitor for that too. At times I stick a laptop on my desk too.

BTW, my boss has 17 and I'm supposed to do the same functions.