Light-O-Rama Forums

lmfao

mf123

green with envy
Full of desire for someone's possessions or advantages; extremely covetous. For example, Her fur coat makes me green with envy . Shakespeare described envy as the green sickness ( Anthony and Cleopatra , 3:2), but the current phrase, dating from the mid-1800s, is the one most often heard. Also see green-eyed monster.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mf123

• caniac

• Robin

• WilliamS

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmm, I just discovered that hitting the Ignore Member button makes this so much easier to read.. kinda makes it a lil tough to see what everyuone is actually answering to..

Robin wrote:

green with envy
Full of desire for someone's possessions or advantages; extremely covetous. For example, Her fur coat makes me green with envy . Shakespeare described envy as the green sickness ( Anthony and Cleopatra , 3:2), but the current phrase, dating from the mid-1800s, is the one most often heard. Also see green-eyed monster.

Just because an dictionary has one meaning doesn't mean the other doesn't exist. And I *know* what the dictionary gives as a definition, I was just stating something that I was brought up with. Just because there is no definition for the rendering I posted doesn't mean it's not used.

Look at the word Ain't for example. It's now in the dictionary, when I was in school there wasn't any such word as ain't because it wasn't and couldn't be found in the dictionary, so therefore had no real definition. And teachers would chastise you if you used it or wrote it in a report you did. By chastise I mean, get told that there is no such word or you would get a lower grade on your paper if you used it.

Times have changed, words have changed and definitions continue to change as well. So who's to really say what does or does not exist in such criteria such as this.

All I know is my parents said it and I had teachers that said it.

So just because there is only one definition around doesn't mean it's the only definition, since many folks in different regions have their own way of saying things at times.

I'm not trying to argue any points here, just that there are other definitions/statements others say that you may not have heard before. And just because you've never heard don't make them not so.

Orville wrote:

I'm not trying to argue any points here...

I'm sorry, I can't stop myself... how can someone use so many words in defense of something no one else has ever heard of and not consider it arguing a point?

Orville wrote:

Robin wrote:
green with envy

Just because an dictionary has one meaning doesn't mean the other doesn't exist. And I *know* what the dictionary gives as a definition, I was just stating something that I was brought up with. Just because there is no definition for the rendering I posted doesn't mean it's not used.

Look at the word Ain't for example. It's now in the dictionary, when I was in school there wasn't any such word as ain't because it wasn't and couldn't be found in the dictionary, so therefore had no real definition. And teachers would chastise you if you used it or wrote it in a report you did. By chastise I mean, get told that there is no such word or you would get a lower grade on your paper if you used it.

Times have changed, words have changed and definitions continue to change as well. So who's to really say what does or does not exist in such criteria such as this.

So just because there is only one definition around doesn't mean it's the only definition, since many folks in different regions have their own way of saying things at times.

I'm not trying to argue any points here, just that there are other definitions/statements others say that you may not have heard before. And just because you've never heard don't make them not so.

I am red with envy at your ability to state your case so succinctly...

And so are these guys: http://www.myspace.com/redwithenvy

Orville wrote:

Robin wrote:
green with envy

Ain't it a shame when we realize that our parents led us down a path to nowhere?!?

Guest wbottomley

mf123 wrote:

im so confused..
is it red with Jealousy
and green with envy
or purple for hunger or what
there so much thoughts about something so dumb.

I can see that as you make a great point.

wbottomley wrote:

mf123 wrote:
im so confused..
is it red with Jealousy
and green with envy
or purple for hunger or what
there so much thoughts about something so dumb.

I can see that as you make a great point.

in the first line of the post.....:cool: