Light-O-Rama Forums

GFCI keeps tripping

maverick34

I have a 16 channel controller with extensions running around the yard, for some reason the GFCI keeps tripping. I unplugged the lights that werent part of the display, but the next day it still turned off. There is a power strip to power the controller and stereo, It's in a container that has a lid and I'm not finding any water inside of the container. The display will successfully turn off at 10 though so it's turning off sometime after. What else could be tripping it?

EDIT: This just started recently, The show was running fine up until mid last week. And the fuses at the beginning of the C9 strands of lights are blowing out too, there's a maximum of 3 connected into each other for the roof, the bushes have just 2 stands.

You come in here with a list of problems, but I dont see any real information.
Lets look at the C9 blowing fuses. Are these LED or are these the old icans? How many total bulbs? What are the fuses rated at in current?

As for the GFI problem. Have you done any searches for GFI? We just had a thread somewhere in the forum about GFIs and some reasons GFI trip. Good hunting.

Thank you Surfing4Dough, I was searching for GFCI in a thread but couldn't find one, I didn't know the piece went by GFI also. You were very helpful!

maverick34 wrote:

Thank you Surfing4Dough, I was searching for GFCI in a thread but couldn't find one, I didn't know the piece went by GFI also. You were very helpful!

Either way, a much better way to search is to use google, like this:

site:forums.lightorama.com gfci

or if lazy, just use the following to basically get the same results (easier to type this out):

lightorama.com gfci

This is how a GFCI works:

66e49c8f.jpg

The device compares the current on the neutral and the phase wire, and if there is an imbalance of 5-10mA, it trips and opens the ciruit. Until you clear that bleed current, you aren't going to solve the problem.

Isolate the offending circuit(s), and trace them out and find out where your issue is. Has it been raining or snowing? Is there any damage to cords or light strings? Are there any plugs that are wet (even from dew/frost)? These are the types of things to be looking for.

Read through this thread and some others for some tips and suggestions.
http://forums.lightorama.com/view_topic.php?id=31168

De,

A very informative post. But lets not through out any new names or terms. I understood, but took a few seconds to realize what you meant by "Phase". Most people instantly recognize "Hot & Neutral". All you do is confuse the newbies with something like "Phase".

Max-Paul wrote:

A very informative post. But lets not through out any new names or terms. I understood, but took a few seconds to realize what you meant by "Phase". Most people instantly recognize "Hot & Neutral". All you do is confuse the newbies with something like "Phase".

Yep, you are right. Missed that before posting. :P The last thing desired is spreading more confusion. The terms are drastically different between industry and "layman", and can sometimes be challenging to decipher after using them for 30+ years.

For a quick run down on the terms for those that don't know; a typical residential electrical system is comprised of two "hot" wires (known as "phases" in industry), one "neutral" wire (known as "grounded" in industry), and one "ground" wire (known as "grounding" or "equipment ground" in industry). Surely a different term could have been coined to avoid the potential confusion between the terms "grounded" and "grounding", but they didn't consult me! If one were to look in the National Electrical Code (NEC), the industry terms are what is used to reference these.

Hot = Phase
Neutral = Grounded
Ground = Grounding

-and-

GFI = Ground Fault Interrupter
GFCI = Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter
Both of the above used interchangably.

For the purposes of the discussions on this forum, the layman's terms will be used to describe the various components. If I slip up in the future, please slap me around and bring me out of the "coma".

My apologies to anyone who has been confused with the technical jargon!

Maverick (and others)..

You have to find where the problem is that keeps tripping the.. You going to have to unplug everything then start plugging in one thing at a time (into the same dongles you pulled them from) and see what trips the GFI.

TJ Hvasta wrote:

Maverick (and others)..

You have to find where the problem is that keeps tripping the.. You going to have to unplug everything then start plugging in one thing at a time (into the same dongles you pulled them from) and see what trips the GFI.

Jeez TJ, having just fought this same issue past two weeks, I had a two paragraph detailed step by step procedure all typed out and you beat me to it with a two sentece summary of the same thing. I always was long winded.