Light-O-Rama Forums

Security cameras

ericnagel

One of my improvements for next year is new security cameras. Today, http://www.woot.com/ has Zmodo 8 Channel Surveillance System with 8 Weatherproof IR Cameras for $169.99 + $5 shipping.

You have to add your own drive for recording, and it's not a set of HD cameras, but like they say, "Best security system on the market? Depends who you ask. Best security system at this price? Now you’re getting it."

ericnagel wrote:

One of my improvements for next year is new security cameras. Today, http://www.woot.com/ has Zmodo 8 Channel Surveillance System with 8 Weatherproof IR Cameras for $169.99 + $5 shipping.

You have to add your own drive for recording, and it's not a set of HD cameras, but like they say, "Best security system on the market? Depends who you ask. Best security system at this price? Now you’re getting it."

I bought that system the last time Woot had them. That time the price was a little higher, but it has the hard drive.

The cameras are OK, but not great. The recorder works well and I can watch it from anywhere via the internet. The last part is easier if you have a static IP address, but there are dynamic DNS providers that are a work around. You can buy a better camera from millions of places and use it if you really need a better camera (or lens). I will likely do that for 2 locations in my yard.

dito wrote:

just ordered one of these from Costco, Qsee 8 channel/cameras, 600tvl cameras.

http://tinyurl.com/cy3odnc

i found a nice 16 channel setup on there, but i am not a costco member, and they want an extra 42 dollars unless i can provide a membership number... anyone care to share theirs? :) im paying by credit card...

ericnagel wrote:

I bought a Zmodo system this past spring and am very happy with it.I got an 8 channel system ,but only got 4 cameras.Mine came with a 1tb hard drive.I am very pleased and have had zero problems with it.Here`s an ebay link to the seller i bought mine from.I only paid $350 with free shipping for mine.He increased the price since i bought mine.He also sells other packages of this brand.One thig i would say is if you think you might want more cameras.....buy them right away as it is cheaper in the package deals.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/180682142620?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

man i waited til i got home and now they are out of stock on the 16 channel units with 16 cameras.... grrrrr... i went ahead and ordered the 16 channel unit with 8 cameras. i will tell you this, anyone looking to get a system like this, i found the rg59 and power cable on 1000 ft. spool from a different vendor for cheap cheap CHEAP!!

http://sewelldirect.com ... here is the direct link for the cable http://tinyurl.com/79jw9zq $95.00

you were right... they show more in stock today... now i have two systems on their way... LOL, guess I will need to return one...

I have had security camera's for 4 years and just had to replace the DVR. I went with Costco, just cant beat the price and quality plus remote viewing is an option:

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11675539&whse=BC&Ne=4000000&eCat=BC|90607|4802&N=4047297&Mo=31&No=5&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&cat=4802&Ns=P_Price|1||P_SignDesc1〈=en-US&Sp=C&topnav=

• 4 months later...

Jeff, just want to say thank you for the help you sent me on the security cameras and set up.I tried to PM you but it came back and said you are not excepting PM's. I followed your advice and did a lot of D&D and got some good 600 line clearance cameras and the PTZ 27 that you recommened.

After doing a lot of research I also bought shielded cable and installed it all myself saving several thousdand dollars. I have very clear pictures and love the ability to zoom in with PTZ camera.

Again thanks for the help
John (oldandslow)

Funtobewith11 wrote:

Any one now you you are required by law to post a sign stating that the area is being recorded or watched?

That may be something you need to check with your state and local laws.

As far as I know, if it's on PRIVATE PROPERTY, like your home, you don't have to specify any recording is going on, but if a business, that puts it in a different realm all together.

But the best thing would be check your local and state laws, as each state or locallity may have different guidelines for whether someone being recorded, wether audio and/or video in such a manner would have to be posted on private property.

Jeff Millard wrote:

Here it is up close... Sorry about the bag of peat on the sidewalk. I was just getting ready to work in the garden... :shock: attachment.php?id=17367

Uh, Jeff, I don't know how to break this to you. I don't think your camera system is really helping you all that much. Someone already stole all your lights!! :shock: :D

LORi P wrote:

Jeff Millard wrote:
Here it is up close... Sorry about the bag of peat on the sidewalk. I was just getting ready to work in the garden... :shock: attachment.php?id=17367

Uh, Jeff, I don't know how to break this to you. I don't think your camera system is really helping you all that much. Someone already stole all your lights!! :shock: :D

+1 for Lori!

Now that was HILARIOUS right there!

And I'm still laughing! LMAOROTF

first off +1 for Lori! :D

For Security camera's, the DVR is far more important than the cameras (assuming you are getting cameras that meet your light and or PTZ requirements)
Major thing to look at on the DVR is the resolution and FPS. Here are the resolutions:
NTSC: D1(720X480), HD1(720X240), CIF(360X240)
This is assuming you are using the NTSC format, common in the USA. Europe uses PAL.
They usually give you total FPS for the DVR so for example if it’s an 8 channel dvr and it says a frame rate of 240, that’s 30 fps per channel.
I do own a Security company, and many times I get called in AFTER a business owner buys a cheap system, gets robbed, then goes to the DVR to discover that it was recorded with a crap DVR and they cannot identify there person.
If anyone from this group is looking for a DVR, camera, or anything related, let me know and I will arrange for a drop ship direct to you at cost. I should warn you though that there is very little mark up on these and my cost may even be higher than eBay.

Wow, I'm impressed, that's the best and clearest I've seen from most of the camera's I've seen peering into the darkness.

Thanks for the night shot Jeff.

One question are you using any type of infra-red lighting to help those camera's see like that, or do they have some type of infra-led lighting in or on them to get that kind of clear quality in the dark?

Jeff Millard wrote:

.... however, everyone knows that in the spring/summer/fall the display is in the back yard...:cool:

Jeff

If vandals mess with the lights in your backyard, those cameras still are not going to help much. Just sayin' :cool::cool:

Jeff was a great help getting me started in the right direction. I spent about 3 months talking to people on security web sites finding out about the cameras which are very important for good night time pictures.

The lower right camera uses 36 ir leds and my back is in total darkness. The leds produce a light that you can't see.

The upper left camera you can see what looks light a spot light, but in fack is very dark. That is what the ir leds do.

The upper right is a 0 lux ptz camera so you can compare.

I hope this helps someone like jeff helped me.

John (oldandslow)

Attached files 318671=17380-100_0525.JPG

Thanks for posting that John! I really have to say I'm not at all impressed with that "spotlight" effect from the IR cams, but the 0 lux ptz, definitely looks much cleaner and clearer not having that "spotlight effect" in the capture.

Those 0 lux cams are definitely the way I'd go whenever I can afford to get a security system, that's going to be off a ways for me at the moment.

But at least I know what I want to go with that does the best job in low light situations!

Funtobewith11 wrote:

Any one now you you are required by law to post a sign stating that the area is being recorded or watched?

It's a good idea anyway. You want the vandals to know they are being watched. If they are kids, it might make them think twice.