Light-O-Rama Forums

Security cameras

ericnagel

Jeff, I bought the dvr already programed for the best quality so I haven't played with it at all. I was told to show the picture on A monitor for best quality. I have a small 3 year old TV that I use. The Camera is 600 line with 36 leds. The pictures that i get are much clearer than what you see in my demo. You can make out that she has glasses on and the pattern in her robe. The dog is all white. When I use the PTZ and zoom in you can see very well with the lights that are on outside. Every thing I bought was clearance or discontinued with the exception of the PTZ and controller which is the same as yours. The cameras were 75.00 originally 149.00. The whole system with the upgraded shielded cable was 722.00. Now you know why I'm so thankful for all your help.

Attached files 318799=17389-100_0530.JPG

This is the picture in the center. I live in the country and it is dark.

Attached files 318800=17390-100_0529.JPG

It does appear if the object or person is in the direct line of the IR lighting, the features do get washed out though. The dog in the lower photo kind makes me think I'm looking at a "ghost dog" due to how bright white it is.

So if a person is in that direct IR light, how well do their features come out? Can you actually make out their facial features for a positive ID, or will it be as washed as the dog looks?

The pictures that I took were 24 feet from the camera center. The pictures were taken with a 6 year old 3.2 megapixel camera. They do appear to be washed out when YOU see them, but when we see them you can see the face and make out what they are wearing. You can get better pictures by copying off the hard drive which I haven't tried yet. I spent 3 months talking and listening to the experts of various security sites. The one thing in common that they talk about is the quality of the cameras.
The higher the tv lines the better the picture. The ptz camera has 540 lines at 0 lux and because of the post light that I have, will produce good quality pictures when I pull back from what you saw in my earlier photos.
Just remember some photo of the bad guy is better than nothing. One place even told me that pictures from good cameras can be computer enhanced for more details.
My first venture into this security camera world was a quote of 6300.00 dollars so the idea went dormant untill I read Jeffs post. He tried different things and was a hands on expert so I contacted him. He was kind enough to give details and links to get started. Thanks again Jeff.
One last thought ALL cameras will give you good day light pictures. The night time pictures depend on the lens and tv lines and the amount of the light the lens see. Thats the reason I have ir leds. The back of my lani will give me good pictures with detail with nothing but ir leds for light.

Is there any good IR spots or flood on the market?
Or is it cheaper to convert a rainbow flood or mini flood to IR LEDs.

Thomas

• 2 months later...

Looks good Jeff, I know it takes a while to run wire in the walls and attic. Its to hot in the attic in the summer here (winter project).

I see the bag or peak is missing.

Thomas

You guys are a bad influence on me. Got me all paranoid and what not. I am not going to be able to JUMP into this project so it is going to be a slow ordeal. Just ordered off of ebay a Security 8 ch DVR w/o HDD. It has audio inputs for all 8 channels, PTZ output, 8 alarm inputs and one alarm output. Standard H264 compression. 240 FPS @ CIF.

Got a Q for you experts. What is the consensus for min FPS per channel? I know that there is a trade off between FPS and quality of the pixels, aka resolution. But the higher res will leave you with fewer FPS. Looks like I can do D1 with this unit.

Thanks for all the info and testing Jeff. I will be re-doing my 4 camera system soon, this info will come in handy!

Donny

• The topic was locked