Light-O-Rama Forums

RGB lights

rooster423

For the one who are running strips now. Now you leave them up year round and incoporate them into your other show Halloween, Forth of July?

I havent seen any strips in person. so...
How are protected, not so much light, but chip and other stuff sealed up from the elements?

I had an idea about running around the rim of my pool. Not sumerging it. But im sure it would get wet.

Just saying the ribbons are a big investment I personal would try to find was to get my moneys worth in the off season.

Jeff, I saw your order listed; I just made my first 2012 order. I cannot wait to see what you are doing. I like those lights you got. I am sticking with what I did last year and not controlling individual pixels. I am happy with groups.

As an FYI for those of you wanting to go RGB you CAN control strings of RGB lights and get millions of colors using LOR DC boards or DMX DC boards. Just keep in mind one RGB channel is 3 traditional channels. If you use a LOR DC board you will use 15 of the 16 channels to control 5 rgb strings.

Wow, I'm going to fall behind on this RGB stuff really fast.. I really want to find some cheap dumb strips and get a dc board to get started with RGB next year.. I'm taking the one step at a time approach. But I've been reading and reading. :P

• 2 weeks later...

usedcarguy wrote:

For the one who are running strips now. Now you leave them up year round and incoporate them into your other show Halloween, Forth of July?

How are protected, not so much light, but chip and other stuff sealed up from the elements?

I had an idea about running around the rim of my pool. Not sumerging it. But im sure it would get wet.

Just saying the ribbons are a big investment I personal would try to find was to get my moneys worth in the off season.

Most of these strips are weatherproofed by a silicone coat. Silicone is highly UV-resistant as well as moisture resistant. I've heard of many people here in Utah leaving their stuff up all year arguing that moving them back and forth (talking about the strips) hurts more than the elements could. That's your call. I personally will be taking down my $1700 of CCRs...

DLTSLC wrote:

usedcarguy wrote:

I had an idea about running around the rim of my pool. Not sumerging it. But im sure it would get wet.

Most of these strips are weatherproofed by a silicone coat. Silicone is highly UV-resistant as well as moisture resistant. I've heard of many people here in Utah leaving their stuff up all year arguing that moving them back and forth (talking about the strips) hurts more than the elements could. That's your call. I personally will be taking down my $1700 of CCRs...

Amen to that! UV resistant is certainly not the same as UV proof! :D

I forgot to add something. Homes that face N/S could probably get away with it quicker than homes that get more sun exposure facing E/W but I'd still take them down, just be careful when you take them down and you'll enjoy them for years :)