Light-O-Rama Forums

RGB lights

rooster423

Do you want to be able to control each pixel or you just like the way they look?

You can find the Dream Color RGB lights that look similar to CCRs. With some hackery, you can get them to function the same way as CCRs too.

Guest wbottomley

rooster423 wrote:

this is my first year, so i'm still learning everything

Then... you're in for a rude awaking in the DIY world.

You might want to go with LOR equipment unless DIY is really what you want.

I'm using it for 2012 with a huge matrix that will be stunning.

hey guys I have a couple of questions about the RGB led strips:

1 RGB 5m 5050 SDM 30LED s/m led strip <-- on this strip what does the 5050 means? because I've seen others with 3528 I think but I have no idea what's the difference between those two.

2 I've seen post saying that this kind of strips can be powered with a laptop power supply and I have couple of those but all of them have this output info: 19V 4.74A , can I use them with the RGB 5m 5050 SDM 30LED s/m led strip?

3 if u guys can give me some advice about what kind of rgb led strips I should or shouldnt buy? or what do I need to look for? or what do I have to avoid when buying rgb led strip?, I would appreciate it.

thank u guys in advance.

Daniel.

You might want to search for these items in these forums; others have been down the path you are taking and have shared quite a lot about what works and what doesn't.

The 5050 refers to the size of the LED itself (5.0 mm x 5.0 mm). Same as the 3528 (3.5mm x 2.8mm). The 5050 is one of the best LEDs to use.

The original (old) strips have 30 LEDs per meter, current ones have 60 per meter and there's some new ones with 144 per meter, if you want that blindingly bright look.

Most strips are 12vdc. A rare few are 5vdc and some special order ones are 24vdc.

On most strips, you can control the individual colors (red, green, blue) along the entire strip. Those are called Dumb Strips.

Smarter strips (they have small black square computer chips every few LEDs) can be precisely controlled down to the pixel. A pixel can be 1, 2 or 3 LEDs in a row. The LOR Cosmic Color Ribbon can be controlled down to the pixel level (3 LEDs) and has 32 levels of brightness. Internally, it's known as a type 6803 strip. There's about 8 other type of strips out there.

The CCR strip that LOR sells has a custom controller that was specially built to make programming easier; it has several additional channels that are "macros" that can make lights move in a pre-defined pattern. Without that controller, you would have to control each of the 50 pixels individually. That's a lot of programming work.

Some strips, usually called Dream Color or Horse Race, have 3 groups of 3 LEDs all along the strip. It's good for chases and solid colors, but not for individual pixel control.

There's a lot more to be found on these forums and Doityourselfchristmas.com and Auschristmaslighting.com

Some people are really adept at hardware stuff and others just like to plug pre-built things together without using tools or without learning about electronics.

You might decide where your interests are after you have spent a few hours doing the research.

Good luck.

Guest wbottomley

Ken... you might want to go back and re-read a little more about pixels.

So what does the "2801" indicate here: http://www.aliexpress.com/fm-store/701799/209889132-320389559/12mm-8mm-led-pixel-RGB-led-channel-lettet-waterproof-WS2801IC-256-level-gray-scale-DC5V-input.html

By the way... the LOR controller for the CCR's was not about making it easier to program, it's about having the LOR protocol interface with the pixels. Without the LOR interface, it will have to be done via DMX.

Guest wbottomley

LEDsNewFan wrote:

hey guys I have a couple of questions about the RGB led strips:

1 RGB 5m 5050 SDM 30LED s/m led strip <-- on this strip what does the 5050 means? because I've seen others with 3528 I think but I have no idea what's the difference between those two.

2 I've seen post saying that this kind of strips can be powered with a laptop power supply and I have couple of those but all of them have this output info: 19V 4.74A , can I use them with the RGB 5m 5050 SDM 30LED s/m led strip?

3 if u guys can give me some advice about what kind of rgb led strips I should or shouldnt buy? or what do I need to look for? or what do I have to avoid when buying rgb led strip?, I would appreciate it.

thank u guys in advance.

Daniel.

Here's the best ones to buy: http://store.lightorama.com/cocori.html

Try this setup http://store.lightorama.com/cocori.html , will work very well with LOR software. Also great to learn with! Plus the new LOR CCB's will be coming soon! Now folks will be able to run RGB pixel strings and flex strips, basically plug and play with S3!

Donny

Actually I meant to say chip! My understanding was 5050 was the led size. The chip needs to match what the CCR uses in order to be controlled with the CCR controller.

Donny

wbottomley - I didn't mention the 2801 type of strip. It was part of the "There's about 8 other type of strips out there." and I didn't get too deep into it because it's covered elsewhere by others.

As far as I can tell, without experimenting with one, the 2801 types have 256 levels of dimming, which is quite smooth. They are shown in several Youtube videos.

If you are doing slow fades, you would want more levels of brightness so the lighting doesn't look clunky.

Quicker fades and faster paced ligting can get by with the 6803 (CCR) type, with 32 levels of brightness.

Have you had a chance to play with the 2801 strips?

Guest wbottomley

Ken Benedict wrote:

wbottomley - I didn't mention the 2801 type of strip. It was part of the "There's about 8 other type of strips out there." and I didn't get too deep into it because it's covered elsewhere by others.

As far as I can tell, without experimenting with one, the 2801 types have 256 levels of dimming, which is quite smooth. They are shown in several Youtube videos.

If you are doing slow fades, you would want more levels of brightness so the lighting doesn't look clunky.

Quicker fades and faster paced ligting can get by with the 6803 (CCR) type, with 32 levels of brightness.

Have you had a chance to play with the 2801 strips?

Never mind.

Jeff Millard wrote:

The Light_O_Rama CCR has "6803" ICs on each pixel. The CCR controller sends data to the 6803 chips using their physical location along the strip to determine which Pixel/Color it is controlling. If you are using a CCR controller, any device that uses 6803 chips along the nodes will be able to be controlled using LOR. If a device in the string fails, all you have to do is remove it and either replace it with a new one, or remove it and add a new one to the end, or remove it period and lose the last node.

I am going to contact David Moore and ask him if he would mind me linking his Vimeo videos in my signature. Otherwise, I would suggest anyone wishing to get a start into pixel controlled devices take a look at his videos as they are a very good primer.

These devices will be exploding this year. Don't jump in with both feet, unless that means you are going to read everthing in the CCR section, and everything in the DMX section. Programming (sequencing) these devices can be very complicated. Sure they can be made to do things in time with music easily, but making a creation like Dennis Cherry's 4 CCR Circles running Brian's sequences is a daunting task. Sure you could buy the sequence from SSL, but why not just make a copy of Holdman's display. It seems to be the most popular thing in our hobby right now.

Read some of the recent Threads in the DMX section, even the banter... Look for the links to David's Vimeo Page. Watch and learn. In six weeks when my first order arrives from overseas I will get to work on some video detailing my findings. Brownout has provided me with enough 12vdc power supplies to light two of Cracker's displays. Cenote and KenLMCSE are nearby to help with the DMX, programming and construction ideas.

We are gonna light the night up in 2012. If you don't care to do your own construction, buy LOR Cosmic Color Ribbons, Bulbs and Floods (The last two will be available this year for sure) Get busy reading the sections associated to these devices. Just popping into the Newbie section and asking for help with RGB devices can sometimes be taken in the wrong way. Everyone here learned this stuff by reading and interacting in threads associated to a particular device. This is how we learn from each other.

Let's all get busy and make big bright lights for 2012 using the best stuff on Earth! (and I ain't talkin' 'bout Iced Tea!)
Jeff

Holy crap! This is the best advice I've seen! Thanks Jeff, let's light up 2012

WOW, didn't realize how many replies and info. i would get back. You all have given some greta advice aand i will do more reading on the ccrs's. I w am just so excited about starting this new hobby. I just want to jump in with both feet running, but that gets me in trouble sometimes.