Light-O-Rama Forums

Light Purchases for 2012

jalexander

I have previously bought lights on the 26th, but most of the Baton Rouge area stores are out of white lights entirely. If I want a multi-color show next year, then I would be set! I purchased 20 strands of red 50% off at Hobby Lobby today.

What are the best strategies or websites for getting mass quanities of lights by next November?

I'm new here too and I'd like to ask where to buy incandescent mini lights?

I've been to all the local box stores and they are all out. Where is the best place to buy online in bulk? And when are all the big sales?

Also, when is the best time to buy controllers from LOR? I've heard about "March Madness"???

Thanks for helping all us newbies!!

Dustin,

As for Ican lamps. I know that CDI still offer up Ican lamps. I dont look, but maybe Paul @ CDI has those on sale now too.

Well just like you said "March Madness" Means hang around and keep your eyes open for the anouncement. This is usually in the past where LOR sells off anything that they have a large quantity. Meaning not everything that LOR has will be on sale. Then with the exception of this year. There has been a sale of everything except for software in the June time frame.

This past year LOR was having some trouble with suppliers and the roll out of S3 and Gen 3 controllers and it was different is about the best way to sum it up. Hopefully we will see LOR back to normal.

Max-Paul wrote:

Dustin,

As for Ican lamps. I know that CDI still offer up Ican lamps. I dont look, but maybe Paul @ CDI has those on sale now too.

Well just like you said "March Madness" Means hang around and keep your eyes open for the anouncement. This is usually in the past where LOR sells off anything that they have a large quantity. Meaning not everything that LOR has will be on sale. Then with the exception of this year. There has been a sale of everything except for software in the June time frame.

This past year LOR was having some trouble with suppliers and the roll out of S3 and Gen 3 controllers and it was different is about the best way to sum it up. Hopefully we will see LOR back to normal.

What I bolded I would think that LOR in the coming year (2012) may not have the sales they had this past year due to the supplier issues in 2011 and having to fill so many backorders due to that issue.

So even if they do happen to have a sale, I honestly don't expect to see any controllers in those sales this upcoming year. But you never know, Dan may surprise us.

We'll just have to wait it out and see what comes or doesn't in 2012.

I woke up really early to hit the sales in search for colored minis and could not find any. Most of the stores were out completely. Very disappointing. Dustin, I did find plenty of white minis at Garden Ridge.

Anyone else have any luck?

I hope I made a good buy. Let me know (or better yet, don't I'll feel really stupid).

I went online at Lowes.com and tried to purchase (350) 100 light strands of clear for $1.35 each. It wouldn't let me so I called the 800 number and talked to an agent. They said they were out of stock but had to locate those 300 boxes. I lucked out because a store in GA had them all. So I asked what else they had and I picked up (200) 450 light strands of clear for $7.49 each.

Then I went to Home Depot and found (60) 300 light clear HD-icicle lights for $4.78 maybe??

I'm not a fan (yet) of LED so these are all incandescent.

So all in all, I got 143,000 clear incan mini bulbs. I hope it was a good deal, but like I said, don't tell me if I screwed up because I might cry.

dustinpelletier wrote:

I hope I made a good buy. Let me know (or better yet, don't I'll feel really stupid).

I went online at Lowes.com and tried to purchase (350) 100 light strands of clear for $1.35 each. It wouldn't let me so I called the 800 number and talked to an agent. They said they were out of stock but had to locate those 300 boxes. I lucked out because a store in GA had them all. So I asked what else they had and I picked up (200) 450 light strands of clear for $7.49 each.

Then I went to Home Depot and found (60) 300 light clear HD-icicle lights for $4.78 maybe??

I'm not a fan (yet) of LED so these are all incandescent.

So all in all, I got 143,000 clear incan mini bulbs. I hope it was a good deal, but like I said, don't tell me if I screwed up because I might cry.

Lol! No need to cry. Anything less than full price is good. I, however, did cry because I didn't find any lights. Lol.

Did they have colored lights? I am not a fan of led just yet either and can't seem to find any colored incan online.

dustinpelletier wrote:

Damn! Looks like you are shooting for a LARGE display next year. Welcome to the addiction.

For those that missed the sale prices.. I have tens of thousands of 100 cnt incan mini lights that are surplus to my needs. RED, GREEN, GOLD, BLUE, CLEAR, BLU/CLR, MULTI COLOR

I don't think I am suppose to sell stuff here so PM or email me if you are interested. I will sell them for what I paid for them.

craig.pmcs at gmail dot com

I dont do icans so I cant say if that was a good deal or not. But you might cry when you get your bill from the electrician that you hired to upgrade your C.B. box so you have more current that those ican are going to need.

P.S. there are a few who swore that they would never have LEDs in their display. Several of them have come over to the dark side and now have LEDs in their display.

Max-Paul wrote:

P.S. there are a few who swore that they would never have LEDs in their display. Several of them have come over to the dark side and now have LEDs in their display.

They won't be 'dark' very long if they are using LEDs. Nice and bright! :)

For those that were "thinking about" the lights I had to sell, take a rest.

Everything I had as surplus is no longer. I kept plenty to play with but have no more for sale.

Thanks to those that inquired and the ones that bought.

Craig

I hit up 4 Walmarts first thing Monday morning. Ended up getting about 9,000 LEDS mostly RED as I have a hook up on whites (I did end up getting 2,000 or so white minis for my lil trees)

Attached files 297705=16445-Lights.JPG

I also been hunting around and getting some good deal on lights mostly icans and some c7 leds from walmart.

I want to upgrade to leds and was wanting for them to go on sale but it seems that they are pretty much wiped out.

I did find a bunch (palet) at Sams club today led mini style lights 200ct 51' on a reel for $9.81
Made buy Everstar Merchandise
Sounds like a good deal??

But I would prefer cool white and they only have warm white so dunno. The guy said they had color one too but they were sold out.