Light-O-Rama Forums

1/2 my bord works 1/2 dose not

mf123

When you plug in the 9-16 side, the electronics (brains) on the controller are powered up. This is why you see the light flashing.

If you have *only* the 1-8 side plugged in, then you will see no light flashing, as the electronics in the controller has no power.

If you have both the 1-8 and 9-16 side plugged in and the light is not flashing, please let us know.

Check the white Opto IC's that drive the outputs. One side should be upside down as compaired to the side that is working. That is if you built it your self. Easy mistake. I know!!

That would suggest 8 reversed optos. Lets assume LOR returned a working controller.

Need to confirm:

1. if channels 9-16 are working, LED flashing, board operational.

2. if AC cords are connected for both sides, or jumpers in place if using just one cord.

3. fuse is good on the 1-8 side

If unit did work when it left ROL, than something came loose during transit. Try running a sequence and press down on the parts with some non conducting tool. Wood or plastic and see if you get lights to light up. It could be just a loose soldering joint, or maybe a joint that didn't get soldered. If you do get it working with a tap on it than you will have to remove the board from the case and resolder the area. If it is still dead are you comfurtable in using a volt meter. I could step you through more testing. Larry

wbottomley wrote:

I see the resemblance of OP's problem in this video:

That was waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay kewl!! Looked like my subpanel last year..

TJ Hvasta wrote:

wbottomley wrote:

Looked like what was left of a lizard in my #4 controller this year. Climbed inside, got stuck in the wires and got zapped! Just lucky the dead little bugger didn't zap anything else in there! Had to use a pair of pliers to get what was left of the toasted, crunchy remains out. Ewwwwww!

• 5 weeks later...

1 AC cord powers one side and the other AC cord powers the other side. The PIC Processer is powered from only one side and it makes the LED Flash when no data is pressent coming from the computer. I think you found your problem. Both AC cords are needed to power both side. The second cord is not a spare!

mf123 wrote:

yes the led goes on yes the fuse is ok and yes the ac cords are connected to both sides but i think i need to plug both cords in the wall for it to work..

Well, that depends MF. If you're using half-wave LEDs (which are only on for half of each cycle - hence their name) you should be alright with only one cord plugged in. You might need to experiment to see which one will work though - too difficult to figure that out in advance.

But if you're using full-wave LEDs or incandescents, then yes, you'll need both cords plugged in. I think you've impressed quite a few people by figuring that out. Good job.

mf123 wrote:

yes the led goes on yes the fuse is ok and yes the ac cords are connected to both sides but i think i need to plug both cords in the wall for it to work..

When we repair controllers we perform a full test on them so it is rare that they do not work when returned. There are always exceptions.

I am not sure if the problem turned out to be that both plugs were not inserted at the same time BUT if it was I think that people would be surprised how common a problem that is AND not only with newbies but with people who are on their second or third year.

On one phone call I had a customer who was setting up their display (third year) and they had 4 controllers. All 4 controllers had problems, one did not work at all and with three only channels 9-16 worked. As you may guess he had only plugged one power cord in on each of the controllers.

There are very few things in this world that have two power cords and these controllers are likely the only thing people will ever see that way.

Dan

George Simmons wrote:

mf123 wrote:

Well, that depends MF.  If you're using half-wave LEDs (which are only on for half of each cycle - hence their name) you should be alright with only one cord plugged in.  You might need to experiment to see which one will work though - too difficult to figure that out in advance.

But if you're using full-wave LEDs or incandescents, then yes, you'll need both cords plugged in.  I think you've impressed quite a few people by figuring that out.  Good job.

With any type of load you will need both power cords plugged in to get all channels to work properly. There are some things about 1/2 wave LEDs that are "special". One is that sometimes they will only work properly when plugged in a certain way. That is if you reverse the orientation of the plug it will sometimes correct performance issues.

Dan

Orville wrote:

TJ Hvasta wrote:
wbottomley wrote:

Looked like what was left of a lizard in my #4 controller this year. Climbed inside, got stuck in the wires and got zapped! Just lucky the dead little bugger didn't zap anything else in there! Had to use a pair of pliers to get what was left of the toasted, crunchy remains out. Ewwwwww!

I had to play the video several different times. Way cool, just glad I was not there when it happened. I live five blocks from a sub station from my house. The sub station has eight transformers and last summer six of the eight melted down when the power company reset the power to the station. This happened at mid night and from five blocks it made the inside of my house brighter than noon day while they melted down. I was just glad that no one got hurt while they melted down.