Light-O-Rama Forums

Product idea #2

ItsMeBobO

• 1 month later...

I would 3rd that - it would be just like having 3 pieces of rope light in 1 (witch you CAN actually buy, just not with LOR interface allready onboard)

But you could get a piece of 3 color rope light and break out to 3 channels on a regular controller.

Why did LOR discontinue the eight channel module boards they had back in 05? these interface boards would work great with all of the LED product that is available. If the output of the microcontroller can turn on an LED, you can control about anything and build about any solid state relay outputs including common positve outputs at 120 VDC while using opto-isolators.

Why not allow the LOC DC controller to "gang" the channels together; channel 1 would also control 4,7,10,13. Channel 2 would also control 5,8,11,14. Channel 3 would also control 6,9,12,15. Channel 16 could be an orphan, available for any extra lighting.

This could easily be a firmware change without new hardware.

How about this, Dan?

If LOR beefed up the MOSFETs, to a higher voltage, they could control ALL LED strings using PWM. The board traces may need rework, though. That would greatly simplify the decision process in the LED string world, but create work in the hardware world.

I did what you explained with 12 VDC common positive LED strips and used the 16th channel to drive a strip of white LED's.

The board I was talking about was to drive a RGB LED ropelight that came out several years ago. Without a decent 3 or 4 controller, the 120VDC common positive ropelight is useless. I don't need 16 channels to drive 30 ft of three channel ropelight. The controller just needs to interface LOR with a custom made opto-isolator relay board without having to go the "DMX" route to control a few channels of LED's. This should clear things up.

I built a 30A DC DMX 18 RGB controller (56 channels total) to run all my spiral xmas trees on my lawn. 15A for RGBs 1-9 and 15A for RGBs 10-18 with a max of 1A per channel. I actually planned on using all 18 RGB feeds but ended up only using 12. The controller consist of the power supply and dmx board all in a 12x12 enclosure...just a little bigger than the LOR PC box. My output feeds were all cat5 cables. Each cat5 cable controlled 1 RGB. It really worked out nice.

You can see the controller mounted right at the foot of the tree. I know I took a picture of the controller itself, but couldn't find it. Its probably still on my camera.

Attached files 305374=16756-IMG_101.jpg

Found a pic before I connected anything...no pic of inside guts. I know I have it somewhere. I will check my camera.

Attached files 305380=16757-photo.JPG

• 3 months later...

I'm not an led fan for the most part but I like your spiral trees and house outline. Cool!

Wish I understood all this new dmx stuff!

evan.a wrote:

diy share a 4 channel module boards. around 30 bucks to build. 

Can you elaborate what you mean. Is this a total DIY? A kit from someplace?

• 5 months later...