Light-O-Rama Forums

delay between controllers

petek157

DonFL wrote:

LOL..c'mon CK...if there is a 50 foot difference from camera to one side of the house versus the other, thats a delay/difference of somewhere around 1/500,000,000 of a second. Are you saying I can't see that??? :D:P:D:D

My eyes are younger than CK's so I guess that is why he doesn't see it. That age thing will get you every time!

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• WilliamS

• Surfing4Dough

• petek157

• George Simmons

I am definitely a nit picker soooo..... I am putting this behind me. Wait are you guys making fun of the light theory? ;) Cause thats obviously a joke but I am placing some weight on the gravity thought.

petek157 wrote:

I am definitely a nit picker soooo..... I am putting this behind me. Wait are you guys making fun of the light theory? :) Cause thats obviously a joke but I am placing some weight on the gravity thought.

Next time you film, make sure you film from atop a ladder. When you are down on the ground, the light from the higher-up strings gains speed going towards the camera since the light is traveling downhill. I think if you are filming from a higher spot, then that effect may be minimized.

DonFL wrote:

Otherwise, I'm going with the theory in the 9th post, but thats just me being a big believer in gravity.

Gravity can't be denied...

But at least now I understand why the chases DOWN my poles (or "lightsticks" as the youngsters call them) look faster than the chases UP the poles look. I've been trying to figure that out for four years now...

Thanks for the video tip Surfin' - I'll be doing some more video tonight and I'll give it a try.

I love this place - I learn something new almost every day!

DonFL wrote:

So does gravity travel faster than the speed of light, or slower? :shock:

It may depend on whether you are in the northern hemisphere or the southern hemisphere.

Surfing4Dough wrote:

DonFL wrote:
No, that determines which way gravity spins, clockwise or counterclockwise...

Which may contribute to which side of the house flashes first though.

This is exactly right! One side of the house becuase of the rotation will be that fraction of a second faster! Problem solved. They are firing at the same time but because part of the house is in a differnt nano second of time you see it sooner. Or there is something else at work here.

Surfing4Dough wrote:

DonFL wrote:
LOL..c'mon CK...if there is a 50 foot difference from camera to one side of the house versus the other, thats a delay/difference of somewhere around 1/500,000,000 of a second. Are you saying I can't see that??? :D:P:D:D

My eyes are younger than CK's so I guess that is why he doesn't see it. That age thing will get you every time!

Yes, I'll admit it: I'm getting old---that's what my kids and grandkids say. Now I'm down to only 150,000 +- miles per second in what my eyes can detect. It's tough to age!

shempster wrote:

It depends on how many jigawatts are powering the light source.

Think the supply isnt the require 1.21? I thought that was for time travel, but I guess blinky light timing is traveling at or close to that speed.

GoofyGuy wrote:

Ive noticed the same thing between my two controller, its a fraction of a second when the all On/Off command is given. I cant see a way other than programming to rid the issue as you do have extra cable between the controllers which will absorb some timing for the signal to carry to the next box. I know there are guys running a ton of controllers daisy chained but most sequences there arent enuogh lights firing at the same moment to show this fraction delay,

The length of CT5 cables we utilize in our displays is not going to induce lags, as long as you adhere to the first controller distance limitations. In fact many of us use ELL's which cuts the baud rate down to 56K or so, and even at that rate we don't get any appreciable lags.
I sequence using .02 timings for a few of my fast numbers, using a significant number of channels/controllers and have a large number of lights firing at the same moment, on and off, and have had no issue with lags.
I can't see how you could possibly observe it with only 2 controllers (unless you are sequencing LEDs that have caps in line which are not be designed for dimming).
Based on what you are describing/experiencing I would suspect you have a cabling issue somewhere.
That would be a good place to start looking to identify the source of your problem.
Greg

Greg Young wrote:

GoofyGuy wrote:
Ive noticed the same thing between my two controller, its a fraction of a second when the all On/Off command is given. I cant see a way other than programming to rid the issue as you do have extra cable between the controllers which will absorb some timing for the signal to carry to the next box. I know there are guys running a ton of controllers daisy chained but most sequences there arent enuogh lights firing at the same moment to show this fraction delay,

The length of CT5 cables we utilize in our displays is not going to induce lags, as long as you adhere to the first controller distance limitations. In fact many of us use ELL's which cuts the baud rate down to 56K or so, and even at that rate we don't get any appreciable lags.
I sequence using .02 timings for a few of my fast numbers, using a significant number of channels/controllers and have a large number of lights firing at the same moment, on and off, and have had no issue with lags.
I can't see how you could possibly observe it with only 2 controllers (unless you are sequencing LEDs that have caps in line which are not be designed for dimming).
Based on what you are describing/experiencing I would suspect you have a cabling issue somewhere.
That would be a good place to start looking to identify the source of your problem.
Greg

My lag is only noticable when I'm editing the video as its literally 1/30th of a second and in all other times I can't see it. The original poster has something wrong somewhere my equipment is fine and dandy. As well all my lights are led none have any caps or boxes in the lines. Home depot specials and they dim and fade with no noticeable flicker. I've still got young eyes vision is one thing I've got going well for me. I can't wait to jump into next years setup.

wbottomley wrote:

Greg Young wrote:
start looking to identify the source of your problem.
Greg

That one was figured out within seconds.

Ha, this one caught me off guard. :)

This is visible only when you are editing the song and not when you are watching the lights outside?

Stop editing the song!!!

Besides my guess is that you think you are seeing it and it is not really there. I have had that problem many times. You spend so much time on a section or a second even that you just never, ever get it right to your satisfaction.

Only other thing is that you are using MP3 and that one section is not stable.

This actually makes more sense as I read it more. Im seeing it on the video captured from a 1080p 60 FPS camera. Now that does not mean in any way shape or form that my monitor can keep up. Good catch.

GoofyGuy wrote:

This actually makes more sense as I read it more. Im seeing it on the video captured from a 1080p 60 FPS camera. Now that does not mean in any way shape or form that my monitor can keep up. Good catch.

Now this makes sense - you have a slight lag between the audio and video being captured by your camera/camcorder, when being transferred back to the pc for editing/viewing. That is not all that unusual.

In some cases the longer the recording the more the audio lags/leads the video. Some camcorders are more prone than others.

When I edited folks' submissions for the Holiday Lights DVD series I compensated for that, and in some cases the end results were that the lights were synchronized to the music better than what was first submitted...