Light-O-Rama Forums

MEGA TREE DOWN - but not out!

captainron19

Had a storm come through last night - a 10-15 minute squall but winds packed a punch with the rain! Rumor is we had gusts at 60mph but unconfirmed - ran to the front window in a haste because my mega tree flag pole snapped 3 years ago.

I was watching the storm and said to myself - wow the extra guy wires I did (top and middle) are really holding it steady then all of a sudden all of the lights went up like a parachute and I saw them fly in the air and come down!

The pole lasted but my wooden bun topper with the hooks actually snapped right in half - unbelievable.

I picked up the phone and called work and told that Captain at my fire department I was supposed to relieve this morning "DUDE you gotta hang over for me" Luckily he did.

Got it all fixed - did not lose 1 strand of lights (only 1 bulb broke) The bolt that went through my wooden bun that had the hooks on it actually stayed in place so I rigged all of the lights onto that with a ton of wire ties and got it all back up and running.

Pics below.

Attached files 295628=16328-1.jpg

All back in operation! When my pole snapped 3 years ago it took me 5 hours just to untangle the lights - today I got everything untangled and back in operation in just under 3 hours

Attached files 295631=16330-3.jpg

dstevens wrote:

Glad you got it up and running again with minimal damage. As an alternative to your wooden bun topper, here's what I use on my tree:

http://www.christmaslightshow.com/standard-hook-head.html

I don't trust those wooden ones at all. I made my own out of Steel as well.

Next year definitely switching to steel - actually going to change my entire mega tree from the aluminum flagpole to steel pipe and I would like to have some sort of hand crank pulley system to have the lights raised. Anyone using something similar? Will just have to find some pipe that is the same diameter as the current hole for the flagpole.

I bought a small boat winch, welded a muffler clamp on it and then bolt it to my mast to raise up my lights...

have a couple of pulleys attached to the top of the mast

captainron19 wrote:

Next year definitely switching to steel - actually going to change my entire mega tree from the aluminum flagpole to steel pipe and I would like to have some sort of hand crank pulley system to have the lights raised. Anyone using something similar? Will just have to find some pipe that is the same diameter as the current hole for the flagpole.

I have built a few for People and used exactly what you are talking about. Send me your email and I will send pictures.

James George wrote:

Ditto! You would not believe how much easier using a wench to raise the lights is.

how many wench's do you use to raise your lights? :shock:

Attached files 295667=16331-Wench2.jpg

bdeditch wrote:

captainron19 wrote:

I have built a few for People and used exactly what you are talking about. Send me your email and I will send pictures.

Email address sent via PM

jimswinder wrote:

James George wrote:
Ditto! You would not believe how much easier using a wench to raise the lights is.

how many wench's do you use to raise your lights? :shock:

Me Likey !!!! LOL

jimswinder wrote:

I bought a small boat winch, welded a muffler clamp on it and then bolt it to my mast to raise up my lights...

have a couple of pulleys attached to the top of the mast

What I did was mount the winch on a steel plate and then used U-Bolts to go around the pole to the plates. Just a little insurance. Also keep in mind that these boat winches can fail, I would suggest using some type of pin ( drill a hole on the side of the roll) to use as a back up should that little pin fail and let go. I have been using a C-Clamp and just tightening it on the roll and releasing a little pressure from the reel. Have it so it would jam the gear wheel and stop everything.

I don't think using wenches to raise your lights is what they do best. Now if it's your POLE that needs raising...