Light-O-Rama Forums

Which white LED lights?

Wayne K

I have done a lot of question asking about the led lights since I am going to switch over and I still have 1 more question. What do most of you that have the M6 mini style led lights prefer or think looks better in your display?
The warm white or the pure white led's. I am guessing that the warm white more resembles the white incan mini's.
Thanks again
Wayne

I like the cool white myself. I never used white incandesants in my display, so adding in the cool white is easier. You definatly cant mix it seems.

I like the cool white myself. I never used white incandesants in my display, so adding in the cool white is easier. You definatly cant mix it seems.

I also like the cool white for most of my props. Except for the sheep in our nativity scene, and they are warm white to more closely match the color of real sheep.

I choose the pure white because I like the "stark" contrast of them. When I decided to get into this and figured that I would go with LEDs right from the start, I wanted to use the pure white as they lend themselves to the overall sharpness and brilliance that LEDs have over the incandescent bulbs.
They have the "pop" factor if you will over the warm white.

I am a traditionalist, so I like the warm white better. Plus if in a jam, I can throw in a set of traditional white incandescents, and really can't see much of a difference (a little dimmer is about it). My arches are a tad more like a pure white though (not the bluish tint of cool white).
I will admit that a cool white lights do look cool mixed with blue LEDs, especially on a pine tree.

beeiilll wrote:

I choose the pure white because I like the "stark" contrast of them. When I decided to get into this and figured that I would go with LEDs right from the start, I wanted to use the pure white as they lend themselves to the overall sharpness and brilliance that LEDs have over the incandescent bulbs.
They have the "pop" factor if you will over the warm white.

I'll second Bill's feeling about the pop factor. I too started off with LEDs. But I do have the WW on my two deer for the same reason that someoneCKS has for his sheep. More natural look.

I'll third that. it really depends on what your lighting up or what it is next too. i use both. i like the cool white b/c of the contrast to other LED colors but by themselves i like WW. My Candy Cane Fence is WW b/c i use 15w light bulbs in them and my deer and radio sign use WW.

Mega tree and House Outline use Cool White to contrast the Red.

Last year I used pure white in my two mega trees but thought they over powered the other colors - Red, Green and Blue. This year I changed to WW and I think it looks much better and fits in better with the rest of my display. But, as we all know it is personal preference.
Good Luck.

Gary Blair wrote:

Last year I used pure white in my two mega trees but thought they over powered the other colors - Red, Green and Blue. This year I changed to WW and I think it looks much better and fits in better with the rest of my display. But, as we all know it is personal preference.
Good Luck.

Gary, So when you say they over powered them, are you talking when you had all colors on together?

Also when it comes to the mini trees, mine are about 24" high, I currently have 300 incans on each one of these and was reading another post some where on here and they had said that they dropped the bulb count down with led's on a mega tree. What would you guys with the mini trees recomend for bulb count? Stay with the 300 or drop down to maybe 200?

This led switchover is startig to be a little more involved then I originaly thought it would take to decide what I was going to do.

This is one nice thing about this board, you can get different opinions on things. I do appriciate the info as a couple of things that was mentioned I had not thought about.

Thanks again everyone
Wayne

• 2 weeks later...

Hey everyone.
I thought I would bump this thread and post a picture of my mini tree setup to see if anyone with led lights can tell me what would look the best on my mini trees. Currently each one has 300 mini icons on them. I am think that if I put 200 on them that would be ok as they show up better. The trees along this sidewalk are colored lights and the ones that go around the house are clear. So what would the thoughts be on the number of led's on each one. Trying to put an order together. From 300 to 200 for my 26 trees would be 26 sets of lights.
Thanks for any ideas or help
Wayne

Attached files 299642=16522-Small-trees.jpg

I like the cool whites better. I don't like that yellow tint that the warm whites have.

However, if you use warm white, you're guaranteed to score big with the after Christmas sales.

Someone helping me accidentally added the cool white to warm white LEDs on our tomato cages. The cages were wrapped in garland, so they looked like trees. It actually looked kind of neat. Gave it a two-tone effect. The trees were about 50 feet from the front of the yard.
Don't think we'll do it next year, but we left both types on.

I personally have both in my display. You have a lot of blowmolds in your display which means you already have WW. You could keep it consistant with WW leds or get CW for a contrast. You could use your selection of music to help decide. If you play more Christmas classical/Christian music go with WW. If you do a lot of TSO and more modern music use CW. Just my thoughts.

I bumped this thread above for a couple of reasons.
First has been the color of which I appriciate everyones input on this.
But also the number of led's. Since leds are brighter. How many led lights is everyone that uses these small cages / trees using? As I stated above I have 300 mini icons on these now and I was thinking of 200 led's on each one. Is this enough or to many? Since I have no experience with led's it is hard for me to decide how many should be on these to make them show up good and make them look ok. This is also one thing that is making it hard to try and figure out how many leds to order for this year.
Once again thanks for any info
Wayne