Light-O-Rama Forums

Ok, so I have WH 2.0 FM Transmitter which sucks

Greg Blauert

After reading through countless posts about FM transmitters and after I purchased the WH 2.0 (before I knew better and yes tried the switch under the sticker) and experienced just how awful it is, I will be upgrading to a new device. From what I’ve read and researched and based on quality versus price, I narrowed my choices to either:

1. ORION-5000 FM Audio Transmitter (5W) - http://www.mobileblackbox.com/content/view/43/77/
Or
2. Any EDM – can’t seem to view the different products as their order system is down, so not sure which model I would be comparing the above too.

As I don’t really know enough to fully understand the difference between these, was hoping for any thoughts/feedback/suggestions/idea’s you may have. I know the EDM is mostly recommended but I like the range & antennae of the Orion-5000. I don’t need 5 miles let alone 1 mile but thinking it would be nice to have that type of antennae system or is that just overkill?

Thoughts/feedback/suggestions/idea’s?

Thanks,
Greg

EDM...RDS or not..your choice. LCD model either way.

A 5W transmitter is not what you want.

Recommend searcjing on the forum some more, or googleing, to clarify for yourself the regulatory guidelines.

DonFL wrote:

EDM...RDS or not..your choice. LCD model either way.

A 5W transmitter is not what you want.

Recommend searcjing on the forum some more, or googleing, to clarify for yourself the regulatory guidelines.

+1 on the EDM

EDM then Ramsey FM30B have been my choices in that order. I started with the FM30B and needed a backup, therefore ordered the EDM on a group buy and now the FM30B is the backup device. I also have a Vast that I lend out to other enthusiasts that don't have a backup and need emergency replacement.

Definitely go with the EDM. I'm currently using an MBB Eclipse 4000 (no longer produced) and it was way past the FCC limits. Fortunately with a little guidance from forum members here, especially the Ham Operators I knew what to do about cutting that range down. (I was getting 5 mile radius when the unit was new out of box!). With the folks help here, put a 10dB attenuator between the transmitter antenna output and the antenna. Cut it way back, still over the range of the FCC by maybe a 100' or so, but it's not broadcasting in that 5 mile radius, which would get you a visit from the FCC!

I will be buying an EDM unit myself come late January, may be mid February to replace the Eclipse 4000 unit, but it will be retained for a back up unit.

I'd recommend the EDM unit myself, before they closed their site down until after Jan. 9, 2012, I had been reading the info and asking the EDM folks a few questions.

I'm still undecided on whether or not I want to pay extra for the RDS feature or not, I use an DC-MP3 Showtime Director and so RDS does not work with the directors, not like it would if running your show from a computer, which I prefer not to do.

But I do know, whatever unit I buy for my next transmitter is definitely going to be an EDM unit.

Greg Blauert wrote:

Thanks guys, going to go with EDM and yea not sure about RDS either.....

Great choice. You will be very pleased. I have two WH transmitters, and I HATE them. No matter what I did, there was static, even right in front of my house. The EDM is wonderful---clear and with great stereo separation.

Greg Blauert wrote:

Thanks guys, going to go with EDM and yea not sure about RDS either.....

Just in case you have any doubt.....You are making the right choice. With the stock wire antenna it comes with, I get 150' clear reception. Although due to the higher elevation of the display, you can hear it (with some static here and there) close to 1/2 mile away.

Everyone likes the EDM no doubt about that. I got a very late start this year, and it is my first year so i purchased a built Ramsey FM30B off of EBAY had it in hand next day,and I'm very happy with it. 1/3 mile of good reception.

What is the average price of an EDM without RDS? and can you hook up an external antenea? Thier order page is closed for the season, so they are not showing prices.

I paid around 150. no RDS. off the top of my head can't remeber which model i have but it has been worth every penny. I only use the test antenna it came with and get half a block 3-4houses away. (residental)

The reason I ask about an external antennae is because I am on a corner lot with a large park across the street, so I can actually be seen for a good distance and just want to be heard. I currently have an FM30 but was thinking about going EDM.

The RDS feature is nice, but not a must have for most displays. Its takes another usb to comm port adapter and you have to write DOS scripts to send the text you want to the RDS.

I have used it all of last season and this season so far. Not a single person yet has said anything about seeing the song name on their radio. A lot of people either dont have or dont use that feature.

On my announcement messages I send the best viewing instructions in text form via RDS. But still with signs, radio, and RDS text 90% of first timers dont turn off their headlights and block the view of others.

My point is that the RDS feature takes additional effort to use but is mostly not noticed.

George Simmons wrote:

If you want a kick-arse antenna, get one of these:

http://www.hobbytron.com/Tru-Match-FM-Broadcast-Antenna-Kit.html

Combine that with an EDM model and you've got commercial quality sound.

Actuallly you can built this antenna for around $15.00 with parts purchased at any hardware store

But, I like the Slim-Jim antenna myself

PMC wrote:

George Simmons wrote:
If you want a kick-arse antenna, get one of these:

http://www.hobbytron.com/Tru-Match-FM-Broadcast-Antenna-Kit.html

Combine that with an EDM model and you've got commercial quality sound.

Actuallly you can built this antenna for around $15.00 with parts purchased at any hardware store

But, I like the Slim-Jim antenna myself

Okay, now I'm somewhat confused. What makes this antenna MATCHED to any FM Transmitter? I would think then any antenna for FM would work. But I've always told the antenna MUST MATCH the FM Transmitter used or you can blow your final stage transmission transistors. What makes this antenna so special over any other type of FM antenna that it won't do the same thing? Especially when I read it tells you to TEST this antenna by checking how it RECEIVES using an FM Radio, NOT a transmitter....so like said at the beginning, I'm confused how this can work, but any other FM antenna, like a car FM antenna or a rubby ducky antenna would cause damage to a transmitter.

Now could someone please UN-CONFUSE me on the differences and why?

Thank you!

I also have the Mobile Black Box Eclipse 4000 and love it. For me it is not too powerful and only broadcast a couple of blocks. Looking at their web site, this model seems to have been replaced with the V6000. Have you looked at that model? For only $99, that seems a resonable choice. Comparing the sound quality I have in front of the house vs a couple of other LOR users in the are (and I don't know what they're using), the MBB model quality is noticablely better and I couldn't ask for an easier to setup and use device.