Light-O-Rama Forums

Ok, so I have WH 2.0 FM Transmitter which sucks

Greg Blauert

Darrell wrote:

I also have the Mobile Black Box Eclipse 4000 and love it. For me it is not too powerful and only broadcast a couple of blocks. Looking at their web site, this model seems to have been replaced with the V6000. Have you looked at that model? For only $99, that seems a resonable choice. Comparing the sound quality I have in front of the house vs a couple of other LOR users in the are (and I don't know what they're using), the MBB model quality is noticablely better and I couldn't ask for an easier to setup and use device.

NOTE: the MBB V6000 IS MONO and has NO STEREO option which is what most folks would really want. MONO just would not do a display justice as you wouldn't hear all of the song unless you converted it to Mono, and even then, Mono music just doesn't sound that good. (At least to me, you opinion may differ).

MBB when I e-mailed them about buying a second MBB Eclipse 4000 said they may have some refurbished units for sale, but to find out about them you have to e-mail them and ASK if they have any!

I was also told they were supposedly working on a new stereo model to replace the MBB Eclipse 4000 unit. The V6000 has been around a little while, but I don't think it is the one to actually replace the Eclipse 4000 units which are stereo, whereas the V6000 is a mono unit.

Here are the SPECS for the V6000 unit taken directly from the MBB Website:

I Larged and Bolded where it shows it is MONO OUTPUT, but stereo input.

V6000 FM transmitter technical specifications* :

• Dimensions: 63mm (W) X 93mm (H) X 16mm (D)
  • Weight: 100g
  • Frequencies: 88-108 MHz (200 frequencies)
  • Power requirement: 5V
  • Operating current: 80mA
  • Transmit power: up to 200 mW
  • Transmit range: up to 150 meters (492 ft.)*
  • Frequency response: 20HZ - 15KHZ
  • Operating range: up to 150 meters (492 feet)
  • S/N ratio: 70dB
  • Input signal: Stereo
  • Output transmit signal: Mono
  • Operating temperature: 0 ~ 45 degrees Celsius (or) 32 ~ 113 degrees Fahrenheit.
  • Power source: 100-240V A/C (or) (2) AAA batteries (or) USB (or) 12-24V Car power
  • Audio performance: (% of distortion) (less than 0.3%)
  • Frequency stability: +/-100kHz
  • Output impedance: 75 ohms
  • Harmonic rejection: <30dB
  • Spurious rejection: <23dB
  • Audio processing limiter, Pre-emphasis: (50uS)
  • Output antenna connector: SMA
  • Buttons: Frequency (+), Frequency(-), Power, Memory 1, Memory 2, Memory 3, Memory 4, Transmit range (+), Transmit range (-)
  • Input/output ports: SMA antenna connector, audio input (3.5mm), Microphone input (3.5mm), 5VDC.
  • Display and indicators: LCD displays: transmit frequency, operating current, memory status. Side blue LED indicates power button is in ON position.

I have the EDM RDS. I used the RDS last year but this year I havent because I contructed a new pc. I really like the EDM. Has a great range at 10mw 100mw is to strong. so the 5watt will get you into trouble with the FCC. I cant say enough about the EDM.

I have the 6000 and it is Mono. However, in most crappy car stereos out there, you really can't tell. Other than the problem I had with the clarity of my transmission to the front versus the side of the house, I've had no issues. I did "clear" up my transmission issue by moving the antenna further away from the house which has Aluminum siding. I was like getting a whole new transmitter.

I have the Whole House and I have no issues (but did have issues). Be sure you flip the switch inside the box to increase the power. This took care of the static and range issues. Also, be sure not that the volume is turned up on the computer and about 50% on the transmitter.

I purchased the $159.00 EDM this year, and it has been great. My uncle went the cheaper route and bought a CZH-05b, which I almost wish I had bought. It went further distance wise, and sounded exactly as good as my EDM. Plus he saved almost $80.00 over mine. He brought it over for Thanksgiving and we did simultanious comparisons of each of them, Set mine to 93.5 FM playing the same MP3 in Itunes from desktop PC. On my laptop we set it to 96.7 (another open frequency) playing same MP3 and it sounded exactly as good. We went almost a mile away from my house before loosing the signal on his, while my EDM gave up after 1/2 mile. Distance didn't matter to me since you can only see my house from less than an 8th of a mile away.

http://www.elecsky.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=46

Everyone seems to worry about the FCC "getting" them, but if you are using an unused channel, they don't seem to care around here (Northern Indiana - close to Notre Dame University) so far.

• 3 weeks later...

I just purchased the CZH-05B.

Initial testing seems fine. You started to pick up signal at the end of my street (about 1/4 mi), but it was nice and clear 6 houses in either direction. The unit seems solid with a metal case. In another post, someone mentioned a noisy fan, but this unit has no fan.

I bought mine from ebay. It shipped from Hong Kong. There was no duty (tax) and it arrived in less than 2 weeks.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/100mW-500mW-Power-adj-76-108Mhz-Home-FM-TRANSMITTER-/330467454757?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4cf1652f25#ht_6329wt_1010

Now, I may kick myself next year when it craps out in the middle of my show (knock wood), but right now, I am pretty pleased with it and happy that this unit is completed (not a kit) with an antennae and I saved over $100 (which will buy me 1/2 of my next LOR controller).

I bought a CZH-05B for our Church because of the extra 500mw punch to get through the brick walls without an external antenna. It did the job.

While testing it at home with an exterior antenna the range was farther than the eye could see the lights. It worked fine. The sound was a little flat but for $50 I think it was a good deal.

I haven't heard anything that sounds as good as a Ramsey FM100B or EDM though. But for the price, you shouldn't.

jaimwolfe wrote:

Everyone seems to worry about the FCC "getting" them, but if you are using an unused channel, they don't seem to care around here (Northern Indiana - close to Notre Dame University) so far.

They will if there is a complaint. Given the staffing issues agencies are facing, you are correct, spending time dealing with illegal low power units is not a priority!
It's no different than speeding/breaking other traffic laws. You may get away with it for a long time, but when you do get caught, it costs you. Greg

It isnt that you're using an un-used channel, it's the interference your radio can cause on adjacent frequencies. Say you're using 99.1 (a "clear" freq), and your neighbor wants to listen to a country station thats on 98.7, 98.9, 99.2 or 99.5.. but he hears noise over his fav Gene Autry song that sounds like Christmas music that seems to go with your lights.. well guess what.. you better expect a visit from MIB.

There's lots of arguments over licensing.......... Basically if you're only broadcasting around the block well................ WHo's gonna complain??

I have the WH FM transmitter (the 2nd) up in my 2nd story frount window.... It works great with the extender airier on and the power flipped up.....

** Note; if it's raining or windy it may go static**javascript:emoticon(':cool:',%20'images/emoticons/cool.gif')

• 2 weeks later...

eurbani wrote:

I just purchased the CZH-05B.

Initial testing seems fine. You started to pick up signal at the end of my street (about 1/4 mi), but it was nice and clear 6 houses in either direction. The unit seems solid with a metal case. In another post, someone mentioned a noisy fan, but this unit has no fan.

I bought mine from ebay. It shipped from Hong Kong. There was no duty (tax) and it arrived in less than 2 weeks.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/100mW-500mW-Power-adj-76-108Mhz-Home-FM-TRANSMITTER-/330467454757?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4cf1652f25#ht_6329wt_1010

Now, I may kick myself next year when it craps out in the middle of my show (knock wood), but right now, I am pretty pleased with it and happy that this unit is completed (not a kit) with an antennae and I saved over $100 (which will buy me 1/2 of my next LOR controller).

I have the same one. I had static at first and found out that it was from me using the headphone jack on my laptop. My laptop does not have a line out. I turned the volume on the computer down to about 30% and turned the volume up on the transmitter all the way. It sounded perfect after that.
It has been on 24/7 since last March. I use it in the garage when not used for the light show.
No issues whatsoever so far.
I will be buying a second one before next seasons show, for back up just in case.