Light-O-Rama Forums

how long are your displays /shows

travis p

when i sarted out i kept my show to 15 mins.people kept requesting more and there were a few i wanted now mines up to 35 mins am i about normal or what

my wife says ill never be normal again( december widow)

My show is an hour this year. Have had a few people stay for the entire show, but most just watch a few songs and move on. Thinking of reducing to two 30 minute shows next year, but that really isn't much different than running an hour show. :D My show plays from 5-10pm each night.

Currently 18 songs for a total of 49 minutes 4 seconds of show. My Halloween show usually runs for about 1 hour 55+ minutes (I think there are 30-35 songs for Halloween I've done)

Christmas show runs: 5pm-11pm Sunday-Thursday and 5pm-12:00am(Midnight) Friday and Saturday.
And I broadcast music from 7am-4:55pm daily as well as on the outdoor speakers until show time at 5pm.

Overnight I do run a "silent" musical sequence to slowly cycle and fade the lights off/on after show end times until 7:00am

My Christmas show is ever expanding since I am still adding new songs to the show. I'm also re-tweaking and modifying old ones that I started with to improve their look and flow.

A never ending process!

mine is 2 hours, and yes I have people stay for the entire show, I break my shows down to genres,

1) Country Christmas (4 songs)
2) TSO (4 songs)
3) Stale TV Christmas Specials Music (4 songs)
4) Rock'n Christmas (5 songs)
5) Reason 4 the Season Music (5 songs)
6) Novelty (3 songs)
7) Christmas Standards (4 songs)

Mine plays continuously with no start or end. There is never anyone here at the start (4:30 before dark) and 11pm or midnight. There are 41 minutes of songs with 2 minutes of announcements interlaced in the regular rotation. There are 21 minutes of guest select-able songs on the interactive website. Most people stay 2-5 songs. I have a few regulars who select Sandstorm, and leave after it plays.

6.5 minutes.... 3 songs. Might be short but people seem to really like it! I have another sequence ready to go as soon as I build me Bethlehem star... I am shooting for Christmas Eve. :(

Twenty minutes, but I am working on a LOT more for next year. Sequencing time is in January/February. I didn't believe that until this year. Note to self: I will not wait until the last minute for 2012---really---I promise!

18 songs, runs almost exactly 1 hour. I have a talking snowman doing song introductions (voice by the Demented Elf), which adds about 10-25 seconds between each song.

And of course a few voice over standards from The awesome Dememented Elf.

We are running from 6-10 M-Thu, 6-11 Fri,Sat,Sun nights

mine is 14 songs, and runs about 40 mins. Running from 5PM-12AM ... some cars actually stay out there and watch the show twice.

First residential location runs from 5:30-11:00pm and is 7 minutes long with three songs. Hundreds of cars each night from Dec 3-26. Half the people stay for the 7 minutes. See

Second residential location runs at 6:30 and 8:00pm and is 70 minutes long (the entire story from The Nutcracker Ballet). About 20% stay for the full run. See

Third location is commercial and runs at 6:15 and 8:00 and is 21 minutes long (the LOR part). Another non-LOR show follows at 20 minutes with two live actors and pre-recorded dialog. About 80% stay for the full show:

My first year my show was 30 minutes long. I live in the City with narrow streets and the traffic started getting out of hand so I cut it down to 15 minutes. That seems to keep the traffic moving pretty well. Last night I heard some horn honking so I may have to cut a song out.
I start the sequence out with a "welcome" voiceover I did using Audacity and follow it with a cut from "Christmas Vacation". In the middle I have a voiceover that announces the times the show runs: 5PM to 10PM Sunday-Thursday and 5PM to 11PM Friday and Saturday.

30 mins per show runs from 6pm to 9pm every night. its in order like PMC, TSO, Stale TV Specials (Love that reference as I do have the 12 pains song in there), Classic and 1 Rock song.

Redbirdruss wrote:

My first year my show was 30 minutes long. I live in the City with narrow streets and the traffic started getting out of hand so I cut it down to 15 minutes. That seems to keep the traffic moving pretty well. Last night I heard some horn honking so I may have to cut a song out.
I start the sequence out with a "welcome" voiceover I did using Audacity and follow it with a cut from "Christmas Vacation". In the middle I have a voiceover that announces the times the show runs: 5PM to 10PM Sunday-Thursday and 5PM to 11PM Friday and Saturday.

Hmmm, maybe that horn honking was just someone trying to give you a standing ovation in a sense for the work and display. Or just trying to get you to come out to talk with you about the display.

Of course I could be wrong, wasn't there and didn't hear how the horn was being honked, so could just be an agitated driver trying to get through.

Don't know about the laws where you are, but if you beep your horn more than a couple short bursts around my area, you can get cited for several infractions, "agressive behavior/driving", "excessive use of the horn" as the law where I am states the horn is to be used solely in the case of an emergency, someone just stopped off to the side of the road looking at something doesn't constitute an emergency. Heck, you can get cited here if you beep your horn at the car in front of you because they aren't paying attention to the traffic light and it turns green and they don't get moving, usually because they are on a cell phone. Had a friend get cited for beeping at a car in front of her in that scenario, think she said the citation was $100. She said the officer told her if she had just beeped a couple short honks he'd have overlooked it, but she gave the idiot in front of her several long blasts to get them to move. Doesn't seem fair does it? Sometimes I do wonder about these idiotic laws we have on the books.

Ah well, I think if I lived off a busy or a very narrow street I wouldn't even attempt any type of animated display that would have folks stopping to watch unless I had an area for them to pull off the main road to watch and be out of the way of other traffic.

My show consists of 9 songs + a 5 minute intermission (intermission was taken from the music played in drive-in theatre between movies, countdown to showtime)for a total of just over 30 minutes. The show is on from 5:25 to 9:05 every night.