Light-O-Rama Forums

Re Exstension cords

goslow5

Anyone who votes SPT-3 should clarify which version of SPT-3 they are really talking about. Every wire manufacturer I have seen uses the term SPT3 for 3 wire SPT, like grounded flat extension cords, and grounded flat appliance cords. Also, it appears that SPT-3 is not fully standardized, as several insulation outer jacket sizes appear to be available from even the same manufacturer..

For the purposes of this discussion, I'll be discussing SPT-3 as sold by CDI last time I researched their actual product, which was basically SPT1 with UV inhibitor in the insulation.

SPT 1 & 3 are easier to work with, in that while the copper inside is usually the same size, the insulation is thinner, making it easier to bend, and typically easier to close the connectors on them.

SPT 3 can be safer in that it has a true UV damage inhibitor in the insulation, so is better suited for long term outdoor use.

SPT 2 can be safer, in that with the thicker insulation, it takes more damage before it becomes unsafe. Also, being a larger package, it may spread out any forces over more area, and be less likely to take damage or abrasion as you pull it through the yard, and around odd obstacles like fence posts and what not.

I use both SPT1 and 2. Comes down to cost. SPT2 is better IMO but not worth a significantly higher price. UV protection not needed unless leaving it outside year round--so definitely an unnecessary expense. Would rather have SPT2 over SPT3 if priced the same.

SPT-3, from CDI. As klb notes, its UV coated SPT-1, acknowledging the fact there is a lot of inconsistency around SPT-3 and the definition.

And honestly, if CDI sold SPT-1, I'd just go with that.

When I priced SPT for the first time in 2010, CDI won the business, and now, after dealing with them on various products, unless I see some incredible price break somewhere else, I'll stay with them.

I used about 1600' of SPT1 this year, my first year, and I love it. Easy to deal with and works fine.

Goslow5, I also got mine from ChristmasLightshow.com along with the rest of the parts to put on it. They were great to deal with.

As I explained to Goslow in a PM, some of us have this nutty requirement to have green spt (and don't anyone go telling me i'm the only one...:X:P), so if color is not a big deal, the CLS price isn't bad at all.

And both CLS and CDI are good vendors to deal with, so you can't go wrong there.

DonFL wrote:

As I explained to Goslow in a PM, some of us have this nutty requirement to have green spt (and don't anyone go telling me i'm the only one...:X:P), so if color is not a big deal, the CLS price isn't bad at all.

And both CLS and CDI are good vendors to deal with, so you can't go wrong there.

Some of us don't see green most of the winter, and I am not picky about what is buried under a foot of snow. :D I do prefer darker colors though in case we have a fluke year and are late getting snow (like this year--we just had our first accumulating snow this weekend). If it isn't snow, then most of the yard is muddy so brown or black work just fine.

If we ever get snow in my neck of the woods, 'll be able to relate...:D

With my roots being the midwest, i can relate to never seeing green from october to april, but i kinda' like the way i have it now...:D