Light-O-Rama Forums

Custom extension cords

goslow5

Hey next year I'm looking at making my own cords. The main differences I see are Spt-1 and Spt-2. I will never be running more then 500 incandescent mini lights through a single strand. Here are my questions what are the differences between Spt 1 and Spt 2, how many lights I can run through a single cable, and will it work with rope lights and LEDs?

Thanks,
Jake

The amount of lights you can safely put on an extension cord depends on the wire size, and if it is a very long run the distance can also become a factor (200' or more).

500 mini lights would equate to roughly 1.7A at 120V, based on a .34A per 100 lamps. LEDs run roughly .08A per 100 lamps for comparison.

Without looking it up, I believe that a #18AWG conductor is good for 12-14 Amperes in free air (@ 86 degrees F), and #16AWG is good for 16-18 Amperes in free air. That said, you can load a two wire cord up to the full load of the channel being served and not overload a cord.

For the power side of things, I would recommend not going below a #14AWG three wire (grounded) extension cord, and would advise using a #12AWG cord.

As far as running LEDs or incans, these cords will be fine.

The difference between SPT1 & SPT2 cable is the thickness of the insulation; with SPT2 being thicker than SPT1. There is now SPT3 which is thicker yet.

I believe the most popular on the forum is SPT-2 correct? How well does SPT-1 hold up? Especially with rabbits. Almost had a shot at the one chewing my lights tonight.

scubado wrote:

I believe the most popular on the forum is SPT-2 correct? How well does SPT-1 hold up? Especially with rabbits. Almost had a shot at the one chewing my lights tonight.

"Hey Bugs, come and chew on this!" Here is your rabbit proof cable... :)

mc_cable.jpg

In all seriousness, don't use metal clad cable; it is a joke!

SPT1 would be pretty much what you have on your household lamps. Not much insulation there to keep the teeth off the copper.

Myself, SPT2 will be what is used for custom cords on the display. Just has a little more protection from damage, but certainly not rabbit proof.

I use spt-1 from CDI for all my extension cords for the channels.
I might have gone with spt-2 in the beginning if I had done a little more research but I don't think that there is a significant difference in the two to warrant changing now.
The big reason I went with the spt-1 was that it has a uv protector in the insulation and it was a great deal during the presale that CDI runs.
I blew through 6 - 1000 rolls of it rather easily and had to order another 4 rolls the next year.

The benefit of having a roll of it handy with the plugs and sockets is so nice.
It really makes things easier during setup to be able to make a 1 foot or a 23-1/2 foot cord at any time for things.

Another helper is to make yourself up a toolbox with the connectors, tywraps, outlet adapters, and some basic tools like side cutters, needle nose pliers, tywrap gun, small channel lock pliers, etc. in it to have out with you.

It saves a lot of time for me during the setup and tear down stages of things.
Bill

stanward wrote:

SPT-3 is not thicker than SPT-2. SPT-3 has the same jacket thickness as SPT-1 but has a UV inhibitor in the insulation.

True most places, however some electrical sites sell wire differently. I have seen "SPT-3" to indicate the UV protection, seen it to mean thicker yet insulation, seen it to indicate thicker gauge wire, and have even seen it to indicate 3 conductor cord. So always know what you are buying.

I use both SPT-1 and SPT-2. Not a ton of difference between the two. They do use different plugs (bigger vampire teeth to get through the thicker insulation of SPT-2, and more room for the thicker cord), so makes sense to stick with one type. However I have found great deals on one or the other at different times, so went with what was the best deal at the time. In my opinion, I haven't witnessed the need for UV inhibition for our use. Our cords are only outside for part of a season, and UV in North America is nearly squat during this time of year due to the tilt of the earth away from the sun (has nothing to do with outside temperature BTW). There are a lot of other elements that will damage our cords much sooner than UV ever would.

Surfing4Dough wrote:

There are a lot of other elements that will damage our cords much sooner than UV ever would. 

Yea, like my snowblower which I just used to find a piece of zip cord next to the driveway. I must have gotten my foot caught on it and dragged it over a ways the other day and didn't see it.
Had 3 to 4 inches of snow last night so went out to clean up. I just figured that I had gouged the grass a little but when I saw a long shred of copper comming out and one of my candy canes started heading towards me, well the little light went on that said "AWW - FREakin - GalDurn- w(well you get the rest).
So I stopped and fished the cord out of the snowblower.

Nice thing was to just come in and grab a lenght of cord and make a new one in a minute and replace the damaged one.

If that is the only casualty for the year, hey I'm golden.

Bill

beeiilll wrote:

Surfing4Dough wrote:
There are a lot of other elements that will damage our cords much sooner than UV ever would.

Yea, like my snowblower which I just used to find a piece of zip cord next to the driveway. I must have gotten my foot caught on it and dragged it over a ways the other day and didn't see it.
Had 3 to 4 inches of snow last night so went out to clean up. I just figured that I had gouged the grass a little but when I saw a long shred of copper comming out and one of my candy canes started heading towards me, well the little light went on that said "AWW - FREakin - GalDurn- w(well you get the rest).
So I stopped and fished the cord out of the snowblower.

Nice thing was to just come in and grab a lenght of cord and make a new one in a minute and replace the damaged one.

If that is the only casualty for the year, hey I'm golden.

Bill

My elderly neighbor last year nailed three 100' orange outdoor cords of mine with the snowblower. I can't complain since he was always snowblowing my driveway and sidewalks for me (for years)--he had a tank of a snowblower. Therefore I wasn't upset at all. However, after that he felt so bad that he stopped clearing my drive for me. :) Sadly, he unexpectedly died a few months later. Best neighbor ever (even without the snowblowing). So now no great neighbor and will also have lots of snow in the driveway this year.