Light-O-Rama Forums

What is LORMonitor.exe? Also need help with distorted audio.

Greg.Ca

I have been plagued with poor quality distorted audio for the past month on my FM transmitter. I have changed everything out including my FM transmitter, antenna and audio cable going to the transmitter. The only common demoninator has been the excessively long length from my laptop to my transmitter (50 feet) It is a very high quality super shielded cable but none the less I want to now try another solution to bring cleaner audio into my transmitter. Could the fact that the ground from my laptop be connected to the ground at the transmitter (through the audio cable) which is on a different 110VAC circuit be an issue? A optical solution would compleatly eliminate this.

I want to bring audio from the computer via an optical cable to the transmitter. Has anybody tried this? How can I go back to audio from optical so that I can feed the transmitter standard audio? I need some kind of a converter that will take the optical audio signal from the computer and convert it back to standard audio. Is something like this readily available, reasonably priced, and reliable?

While doing some troubleshooting on my audio problem I stumbled across this LORMonitor.exe Does anybody know what this might be? It appears to be associated with audio levels but really don't know what it does.

I'm running S2 on a HP laptop with windows 7. However my real only problem is dirty audio that appears to 'simi' correct itself only to reappear a day or two later. I have to figure out a way to get clean audio to my transmitter so that my show sounds as good as it looks. My transmitter has an external antenna connected by a BNC-PL259 cable. The 'range' of the transmitter is fine but the quality of the audio is simply not acceptable. I'm open to any and all suggestions.

Anybody use a fiber optic solution to get audio from their computer to their transmitter.
--Greg--

Which transmitter are you using? Are you sure you're not overdriving the input to your transmitter? Overdriving the inputs is a common source of distortion.

Try cutting down on the input to your FM transmitter you may be overdriving your TX. as previous thread

denis

I have tried cutting down on the input. That's not it. I hear noise not over modulation.
Here is my transmitter:

http://elecsky.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=4&products_id=41

Also, I found this on EBAY and ordered one of these to try:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Digital-Optical-Coax-Coaxial-Toslink-Analog-RCA-L-R-Audio-Converter-Adapter-/280790850593?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4160705c21

Done deal, it's on its way to try. --Greg--

LORMonitor.exe is the Light-O-Rama Show Player. I don't think it does anything with audio levels, except perhaps implicitly based upon the fact that it asks Windows Media Player to play songs. It does not tell WMP what volume those songs should be played at; it just lets WMP do what it will with respect to that.

Why do you say it "appears to be associated with audio levels"?

In looking at the frequency response on your unit, it looks like that transmitter may not handle low end frequencies as well as some of the others do. (100-15kHz) The others I have seen start at 20Hz and have a lower Signal to Noise Ratio.

With that in mind, can you pull some of the bass out of your audio? If you have bass EQed hotter in your output with Bass Booster or something along those lines, you might try going to a straight mix and see if that clears up your distortion, or makes an improvement.