Light-O-Rama Forums

Reading the Manual

friskybri

Dear forum Members,
I just wanted to let you know some helpful hints. Over the past 3 years I have been on here and asked questions and made comments. 4 days ago before the forum had its melt down. I started to read the Manual, all 540+ pages of it. Truth be told its not that long. They are small pages, lots of pictures that take up about 200+ pages. 140+ pages of updates that are covered later in the Manual. Its in a PDF file so you can search on it. I want to apologize to everyone that I asked questions to that was covered in this document. Man do I feel stupid right now. It only took 6 hours to read the entire thing and some highlights that I learned.

1. Asked Dan a few times for custom keyboards 2 years ago. IN S3 now. thinking I could have saved time on sequencing.
2. Wanted to add video but didn't know how. NOW I DO
3. never could figure background/for ground. Even when George explained it to me. Now I know.
4. Forgot about repeat function. Was reminded
5. DMX. was going to ask about who do I get LOR to listen for DMX or where in the software to activate it. NOW I KNOW
6. Channel Groups. Another topic coming
7. Visualizer. So going to try this now.
8. Change controller from one number to another. How many times did I go through and change every channel.
I wasted more hours asking questions in here, waiting for a reply and doing things the long way. Then it took me to read the LOR Manual. I can see if after you read and you still don't know for sure then ask away.
What I am trying to say is don't let the size fool you. You will learn so much from the Manual. Give it a shot, you wont be disappointed in it. Now I feel like I am the knowledge master.

LINK HERE: http://www.lightorama.com/downloads/3.1.4/LORHelp.pdf

if there was a like button here it would have been pushed that's for sure! .. I hope this doesn't make anyone angry but the saying rtfm comes to mind.. although I like rtfmalr (as last resort) then ask questions when the manual doesn't help. But.. I will say THANK YOU to everyone .. yes everyone ones asking questions, answering questions, everyone helps make this a great time of year.. without all the dang wrapping paper

So Thank you.. have a very Merry Christmas folks... now where is that Christmas tree emoticon....

Here's the thing guys.....

We don't have a tech writer. The programmers have to write the documentation.

Programmers HATE (let me repeat that... H-A-T-E) to write documentation.

So darn it - if we wrote it, you better have READ IT! ;)

DevMike wrote:

Here's the thing guys.....

We don't have a tech writer. The programmers have to write the documentation.

Programmers HATE (let me repeat that... H-A-T-E) to write documentation.

So darn it - if we wrote it, you better have READ IT! ;)

This forum needs a like button I like this one

Attached files 293320=16189-thumbnail.jpg

I'm a typical guy.
"Manual? I don't need no stinkin manual!"

But I have gone back to read them when things didn't work.
I will at least do a quick browse through it before I start.

My CCR's didn't work. Once I went through the set up procedures, I found that I missed a step.
When they didn't work in the sequence, I used the hardware utility. They worked fine. So that narrowed my issue down to the sequence. I didn't setup the channels correctly.

I couldn't get the visualizer to work. I asked for help on here. The person pointed me right to where it was documented in the manual. Funny, that I skipped right over that when I read it. Easy thing to do when you're reading it on your computer, instead of flipping through a hard copy in your hands.

Folks are always going to miss things.

Bob's video's are AWESOME! I hate reading, but if someone shows me how, I'm off to the races.
Also, on one of the other threads, someone mentioned LORWiki. That sounds like another useful tool that needs to be stuck at the top of the forum.

I did the same thing (and I'm also a pilot). In early October I was running support for a 5 day bicycle ride. Had lots of time waiting for riders to come along sitting on the side of the highway. Printed the entire 2.9.4 manual and took it along. Read the entire thing. Learned lots of good stuff. Came back from the trip just in time for 3.0.0 to be released. Printed that out in full (along with the manuals for every piece of hardware that I have either bought or are considering buying). And yes, I have read that manual too. Still don't understand SuperStar, but I'm sort of getting there (a little). Really handy to have as a reference.

So, Read the manual...