Light-O-Rama Forums

DMX Universes

PerryH

I have an iDMX running my DMX lights. If I understand correctly, the iDMX will run 1 universe. I cannot have multiple universes on the iDMX simply by changing addresses (A1, A2, A3). So if I want more universes, I will need to get more controllers. Please assume that I will fill each universe before adding additional universes. Can someone confirm or correct me on this. Thanks,

For LOR it is 1 iDMX per universe. You ID the iDMX to whatever you desire, but it will still only control one universe.

To ensure full DMX512 support, make sure it has an ID that ends in something other than 0 (zero) like your example of A1, A2 or A3.

If you want more DMX universes, you get more iDMX's or more likely, you get a generic DMX dongles that LOR supports.

Remember, if you are running your show from a PC, you can now use an Entec pro, or Entec Open directly connected to the PC. Each one will create a single DMX universe.

Not only will the adapter be cheaper than the IDMX, but if the PC is adequate, it can do intelligent commands on all channels at once, not just the 128 at once that the iDMX can do.. As an example, if you try to fade 129 channels at once on an iDMX, 128 of them will fade, but the 129th will just jump from 0 to 255 when the fade starts.

• 3 weeks later...

Ok. 1 DMX universe?

So if you have a dmx controller and you have 12 lights that are 3 pin dmx units and you daisy chain them all together, are you able to make them each unit change colors individually or do they just change one color at a time as a group?

Tracy West wrote:

Ok. 1 DMX universe?

So if you have a dmx controller and you have 12 lights that are 3 pin dmx units and you daisy chain them all together, are you able to make them each unit change colors individually or do they just change one color at a time as a group?

As long as they have unique, non overlapping DMX addresses, they will be individually controllable.

• The topic was locked