Light-O-Rama Forums

Troubleshooting Help

Aaron Maue

I know there are tons of these threads, but I've got a problem I was hoping you all might be able to help me troubleshoot, as it appears to be different than some of the other posts.

Before I give the symptoms, let me say that I intend to try a snubber to solve my problem (haven't done that yet), but wanted to get some additional troubleshooting ideas if it doesn't work.

Problem is this: I have one channel driving two (supposedly identical) strands of 70-ct. big-box-store LEDs. The two strands are separated by an extension cord (strands are not plugged end-to-end, although I don't know why that would matter). One of the strands stays on all the time at a low intensity (maybe 20% - 30%), even when the show is off. The other one behaves exactly as I'd expect it to. On/off/fade/etc. whenever it is supposed to. The one that stays on is the one furthest from the controller, if that matters. It didn't always behave this way and appears to be getting brighter (although that could be because this thing's becoming a splinter in my mind and I'm allowing it to take on a mind of its own) over time.

Again - I'm going to try a snubber of sorts on the line (probably just use a Glade plug-in, as I don't have any old C9s lying around). Any other thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

Aaron

Try the glade plug-in if that works then you just need a snubber or greater load on the circuit ,also try swapping the light string(if possible) to see if the problem follows it.

Denis

Use a outlet tester to confirm that hot and neutral at your outlet are not reversed. The controller only switches hot, so if they are reversed, there will be 110v to all the strings, all the time. Then the lights are controlled by switching the return to neutral. But, at the same time, a leak to ground will also allow a string, or portion of a stringof LED to light.

If the lazy-man's snubber doesn't work, I may try another strand of lights, although I'm hoping I don't have to. Naturally, these strands were not fun to install, so hoping to get away with an easy fix. With only one exception, these were the biggest pains in the butt in thw whole display to install.

Any guess why the other strand wouldn't be lighting as well? Same circuit. I'd expect the same behavior, but maybe I shouldn't.

Aaron Maue wrote:

Any guess why the other strand wouldn't be lighting as well? Same circuit. I'd expect the same behavior, but maybe I shouldn't.

This is the reason I suggest checking hot and neutral are not reversed. If they are, only the string with a leak to ground, or another neutral, will light.

Thanks to -klb- for the "rotating the plug" suggestion. Worked like a champ!!!

This community is awesome. So much knowledge. Such generosity to help. Thanks again!