Light-O-Rama Forums

Hardware Utility gllitch

Jim Hans

I had a triac go bad so I switched the lights over to an open channel and updated all my sequences to reflect this. Just to make sure I didn't mess up I ran the hardware utility to manually turn on some channels and make sure everything was OK.

I started up the HU, hit refresh and it found and correctly identified all 9 of my controllers. The problem? Controller 09 is my spare controller and is sitting in a box in the basement.... I only have 8 controllers hooked up. Hit refresh again, it found controllers 1-9. Interesting.

I closed the HU, re-opened it and this time it found the 8 connected. Very strange that the HU found a controller not hooked up????

Its a vampire, does not need light or power its always there lurking. Now if you hook up lights and they fire up. Burn down the house and run away!

Ive had the HU find controllers I dont have before as well. Its a glitch somewhere in the software. I cant pinpoint it but it hasnt caused me any issues.

Definitely 9 distinct controllers, and not one mis-addressed?

May not be anything, but my healthy paranoia would be double-checking cat-5s, and making sure the HU is consistently finding what you actually have.

If it never happens again, I'd chalk it up to "s**t happens.."...:D

DonFL wrote:

Definitely 9 distinct controllers, and not one mis-addressed?

May not be anything, but my healthy paranoia would be double-checking cat-5s, and making sure the HU is consistently finding what you actually have.

If it never happens again, I'd chalk it up to "s**t happens.."...:D

Did you go into the console and try manually to controller channels on #9 to see what is happening?

I did go into the basement to check on controller #9 but then I noticed the spare lights that I keep in storage tubs were all blinking on and off so I just shut the basement door and went to work. I'll let the dogs deal with it!

Software glitches make me chuckle sometimes so I just wanted to share.