Light-O-Rama Forums

Mulit Colored Shows

fdeleon1970

Hi. My first year using LOR. I love it! I was just wondering if its possible to get multi colors in my show (like Holdman) with only 16 channels. I really like the effect. I am only using 14 channels right now. I have no idea what to do with the others. I had been using only 13 until I placed flood lamps.

Please advise. :P

Fred

well the color changing get to be a real channel hog in a hurry,like me if I were to change all my props a different color I would need 64 channels and no new props. I would use one extra channel for strobes,you can run many on one channel and it give the look of many more. I use xenon strobes that flash 3-4 times a second. that would give you alot of pop fpr one channel

james campbell wrote:

well the color changing get to be a real channel hog in a hurry,like me if I were to change all my props a different color I would need 64 channels and no new props. I would use one extra channel for strobes,you can run many on one channel and it give the look of many more. I use xenon strobes that flash 3-4 times a second. that would give you alot of pop fpr one channel

Hi! Thanks for the reply. What are xenon strobes? Do you have any videos. My show consists of all white incans.

Oh and my apologies for the typo in the thread title.

james campbell wrote:

well the color changing get to be a real channel hog in a hurry,

A technique that works with some props is to use a single channel to add a new color to a multi-channel prop. For example, a display around here layered orange light strings over an 8-channel white arch. The arch could still bounce white, but could also turn orange with just one extra channel.

Steven wrote:

james campbell wrote:

A technique that works with some props is to use a single channel to add a new color to a multi-channel prop. For example, a display around here layered orange light strings over an 8-channel white arch. The arch could still bounce white, but could also turn orange with just one extra channel.
cool, never thought of that. so they dance white but when you want it solid you have the choice of white or orange.

Steven wrote:

james campbell wrote:

A technique that works with some props is to use a single channel to add a new color to a multi-channel prop.  For example, a display around here layered orange light strings over an 8-channel white arch.  The arch could still bounce white, but could also turn orange with just one extra channel.

So add the color or colors to one channel? And I can just have them turn on when needed right?

"imacericg" your color changes look awesome for having 16 channels.

I love the pillars, to get that effect do you just layer the colors on top of each other or do you have to make sure they don't overlap?

Also how did you do the color change on the window frames and garage door, is that rope light? I have rope light around mine but can't see how I'd fit 3 rows of rope lighting.

TitanBry77 wrote:

I love the pillars, to get that effect do you just layer the colors on top of each other or do you have to make sure they don't overlap?

Also how did you do the color change on the window frames and garage door, is that rope light? I have rope light around mine but can't see how I'd fit 3 rows of rope lighting.

I totally agree with you. I would really like for him to show me how its done.

Definitely! I'm going to watch this thread to get some feedback for next year. I have 32 channels and I don't think I could have pulled off those color changes!

The pillars alone seem like 9 channels. I'm thinking maybe the windows, door and garage door are all on the same circuit but still 3 channels for colors.

fdeleon1970 wrote:

TitanBry77 wrote:

Columns: I wrapped them with 6 sets of 100 lights each twice. First time with red, the second time with green. So each column had 1200 lights on it (600 red, 600 green)

Doors/Windows: As you can see from the below two pictures. I built frames/templates to go around my doors and windows. I did this to make it easy every year to decorate. The frames have four colors of rope lights (red, green, blue, white)

Wreaths: I wrapped the door wreath with 6 sets of 100 lights each twice. First time with red, the second time with green. So it had 1200 lights on it (600 red, 600 green). The wreaths on either side of my garage door didn't take that much, but I did the same thing.

As someone said earlier, changing the colors eats up your channels fast BUT I think its an awesome effect:

1) Door/Window - Red Rope + Red Wreaths
2) Door/Window - Green Rope + Green Wreaths
3) Door/Window - Blue Rope
4) Door/Window - Clear Rope
5) Left Column - Red
6) Left Column - Green
7) Middle Column - Red
8) Middle Column - Green
9) Right Column - Red
10) Right Column - Green

Next year I want to use white wire on the columns, as they are white and I kind of wish I new about the RGB LED strips before I invested all of the $$$ into the rope lights.

Pictures to follow:

Attached files 292730=16156-window.jpg

imacericg wrote:

fdeleon1970 wrote:
TitanBry77 wrote:

This awesome! Thank you so much for the info. Does this mean you still have six channels left to play with?

Columns: I wrapped them with 6 sets of 100 lights each twice. First time with red, the second time with green. So each column had 1200 lights on it (600 red, 600 green)

Doors/Windows: As you can see from the below two pictures. I built frames/templates to go around my doors and windows. I did this to make it easy every year to decorate. The frames have four colors of rope lights (red, green, blue, white)

Wreaths: I wrapped the door wreath with 6 sets of 100 lights each twice. First time with red, the second time with green. So it had 1200 lights on it (600 red, 600 green). The wreaths on either side of my garage door didn't take that much, but I did the same thing.

As someone said earlier, changing the colors eats up your channels fast BUT I think its an awesome effect:

1) Door/Window - Red Rope + Red Wreaths
2) Door/Window - Green Rope + Green Wreaths
3) Door/Window - Blue Rope
4) Door/Window - Clear Rope
5) Left Column - Red
6) Left Column - Green
7) Middle Column - Red
8) Middle Column - Green
9) Right Column - Red
10) Right Column - Green

Next year I want to use white wire on the columns, as they are white and I kind of wish I new about the RGB LED strips before I invested all of the $$$ into the rope lights.

Pictures to follow:

Hi this is my first year too and man has it been quite an experience! I am only 13 years old and only have 16 channels (CTB16PC). If you want to change channels there are many routes. you can have two seperate channels of C9's with different bulb color with each strand as close as possible. you can also get CCR's (color cosmic ribbons) but those are quite pricy. For my show I spent two days figuring out my channel configuration, with the requirements I had and what I wanted. I uses two strands of mini lights zip tied close together and so far they look great.

Good luck,

Todd

crashdummyjr wrote:

Hi this is my first year too and man has it been quite an experience! I am only 13 years old and only have 16 channels (CTB16PC).  If you want to change channels there are many routes. you can have two seperate channels of C9's with different bulb color with each strand as close as possible. you can also get CCR's (color cosmic ribbons) but those are quite pricy. For my show I spent two days figuring out my channel configuration, with the requirements I had and what I wanted.  I uses two strands of mini lights zip tied close together and so far they look great.

Good luck,

Todd

Its is truely an experience. Do youu have any video? I haven't been able to take video due to this rainy weather we have been having in san antonio. :-( soon.

No unfortunately because my GFCI outlets are VERY sensitive. We have had rain and every time it rains it trips. I might try putting the pig tails into a bin but this subject could be in a different post