Light-O-Rama Forums

LED Fading on Gen3 Controllers

smitty77

I've done all I can think of on my new controllers and cannot get LEDs to fade at all, I installed the LOR-Curve01.ldc onto all the controllers which I thought was the lighting curve for LEDs, I also changed all the channels in the hardware utility to DimmingCurve 1 not sure of the name but I thought it was the one that pointed to the first curve file. Is there something Im doing wrong? Is LOR-Curve01 the LED custom curve?

Sounds more like an LED issue than a controller issue as all the new gen 3 curves do is smooth out the fade. Try plugging a string on incan lights into the LED's. Do they now fade? If so search for the threads here for snubbers as this will help a lot. I use snubbers on all my circuits to smooth out the fading.

Not all LED's fade. Where did you get them?

I've had to use a single c7 bulb plugged into the LEDs on the other displays I do but I thought the gen3s where suppose to not need snubbers, thought that was the purpose of the light curves and the built in ghost loads.

smitty77 wrote:

I've had to use a single c7 bulb plugged into the LEDs on the other displays I do but I thought the gen3s where suppose to not need snubbers, thought that was the purpose of the light curves and the built in ghost loads.

It is.

If your LED strings are designed using capacitors (in addition to the usual diodes and resistors), they will not fade properly! (and in fact can be damaged by doing repetitive fades).

crashdummyjr wrote:

whats a snubber??? LED's are digital so they cant technically dim......

Please cite sources on that...

I have 1,200 lbs of LED strings that are fading beautifully on Gen 2 CTB16PC controllers. Custom dimming curves would be nice to have, but not necessary.

But failure to dim is unrelated to dimming curves or not.

Poor quality LED strings. Last year I bought some at Home Depot that I couldnt get to dim at all(Martha Stewart), but all my others dim beautifully.

Increasingly, I think it may be a good idea to have a simple rotary dimmer in a junction box for testing how well given LED strings actually dim. If they don't work well with a cheap rotary dimmer, I wouldn't expect the to do any better with LOR.

Ive gotten these same LEDs to fade with a single C7 plugged into each channel with them but I guess I got the wrong impression with the G3 boxes having the ghost loads and dimming curves that I wouldnt need the C7s anymore.

I think some strings need more linear phantom load added than others. I'm not sure how much the gen 3 controllers have built in, but a lot of people get by with less than a half watt per channel. A single C7 is a full 5 watts of load. The more capacitance there is in the load, the more phantom load is needed to drain it down every half cycle.