Light-O-Rama Forums

The importance of good quality audio

k6ccc

I have many of the same songs as Max Paul and I have not had any complaints. I think a good mix of music is important. Some Christmas traditional and then some music with a beat that will give them the dazzle of the show. I visit with the people at times to just see if the audio is good in their cars. One dight it was distorted but I adjusted the gain and it was fine. One song my wife said I could not use was Alan Jackson's
"Daddy Please Don't Get Drunk This Christmas" LOL

I agree -- the FM transmitter and choice of frequency is a critical item to be taken seriously.

I also think the 'tune to' sign is also critical. Too many people put far too much information on it, or leave it poorly lit or positioned so that those viewing it must drive in front of the other viewers. Simple and viewable from a great distance should be top priorities.

The choice of music is important, but less so IMHO, because its so subjective.

Also, I've found that color changing, fades, sweep fades ... can be far more dramatic than just blinking stuff to the beat.

MikeA wrote:

I believe my choices are good but you never know because probably no one will ever be honest if they hate it because of the work they know I put in on it. They will just not attend the show next year or they will talk behind my back (like I am doing now).

I got a very honest opinion of what was good and not good---from my mother! She is 87 and wanted to see the entire show. We sat out in front in the car and watched all of it. She was very pointed in telling me which sequences and music she did not like. I thought it was pretty funny, actually. I just listened and didn't say anything. I learned many years ago---don't talk back to Mom, even at 87 years old.

mmkooiman67 wrote:

Sure am glad that my house was the one with the good audio. I am just glad he didn't comment on the Santa suit I was wearing when we spoke:)

Yes Mark, your show was the good sounding one. In fact I have described it as sounding as good as any of the major FM stations here in the Los Angeles area (and better than some).

As far as your Santa suit, I think my son said it all when we were there :P

The worst part about having a bad transmitter (had one for 2.5 seasons) is people telling you after the fact that they couldn't really hear any music...or it was so fuzzy that they just turned it off. My Ramsey now works like a charm...what a difference from a Belkin!

Ok, so here's a good one for ya.

I got home yesterday afternoon and a lady pulls up and starts telling me how much her and her kids enjoy my light show (big warm fuzzy for me).
Since we were talking about this yesterday, I ask her how it sounded on her radio. Static, distorted, etc...

She said that she didn't know that the lights were going to music. So every time she comes by, they are just watching the lights flash on and off......ROFL

I explained to her that the lights go to the music and that if she thought it was cool before, she needed to stop by and tune her radio to my radio station.

She did and they loved it.

I thinking next year, that I need to add another sign, or make a bigger one.

David Rise wrote:

She said that she didn't know that the lights were going to music. So every time she comes by, they are just watching the lights flash on and off......ROFL

I have heard this a few times myself.....despite having a 30" x 30" sign only 10ft from the road, with its own "always on" floodlight illuminating the radio frequency. At first I thought people just don't pay attention. But, just maybe, they were too distracted by all the other lights after all...

:P

well im a newb and in my first year had my tree fall.sequences not ready.working by myself.but i did one thing right talked to folks who knew saved my money and went EDM best sound on the block.