Light-O-Rama Forums

The importance of good quality audio

k6ccc

This evening my 2 boys and I went out to watch two different LOR shows. At the first show, the light display was just fine, but the FM transmitter was horrible. We were parked directly across the street from the house and the signal strength from the FM transmitter varied between completely unreadable and a "little noisy". Even when the signal strength was only a little weak, the audio quality was poor. There was a lot of hum on the speech segments, and it was quite distorted when the audio was loud. BTW, I tried listening to it on 3 different FM receivers (the factory stereo in my truck, a walkman type of portable receiver, and lastly a scanner).

At the second house, the FM signal was nice and strong and the audio was every bit as good as any major commercial FM station.

The difference in enjoyment of watching the shows between the two was HUGE! I know it's all about the lights, but don't underestimate the importance of excellent quality sound.

Note: I am not putting down any particular FM transmitter (in fact I don't know what transmitter was being used at either house).

k6ccc wrote:

I know it's all about the lights...

I agree completely with your sentiment and it's something that needs saying far more often than it gets said. But I have to take issue with the quote above. If we were discussing a static display you'd be correct - it's all about the lights. But the music is a critical part of what we do, and that makes it arguably even MORE important than the lights. Without the music it's all just visual gibberish.

OK George, I'll go along with that. In any case, my point stands - good quality audio is very important to the enjoyment of show.

k6ccc wrote:

OK George, I'll go along with that. In any case, my point stands - good quality audio is very important to the enjoyment of show.

Might I add that selection of music is also very important.
I saw 2 other displays this weekend also. One we just wanted to leave during each song but I stayed in hopes it would get better. As I was driving off my wife told me that if my show was ever that bad she would un plug the whole thing.
For as much as we wanted to get away from that show we were hoping for a longer show at the next display. Both feelings were directly effected by the music choice.

About three decades ago, seems like a lifetime, I used to run sound and lights for a descent size church. When we had the Easter and Christmas musicals, I would pull an all nighter setting things up and testing. This was back in the day when surround sound was just beginning and would set up the sound to maximize the audiance experience. When I would visit other churches and if they happen to have a crappy sound setup, I didn't return.

Last year I was hoping to get a transmitter but it didn't pan out for me yet. I was a considering buying a medium grade Holly transmitter(don't think that's spelled right) but after someone mentioned the huge difference between their old MMB4000 and their new EDM, I'm going with the EDM when I get my tax return.

k6ccc wrote:

This evening my 2 boys and I went out to watch two different LOR shows.  At the first show, the light display was just fine, but the FM transmitter was horrible....

As soon as I read this I looked to see where your location was. *whew* nowhere near me.

A new FM transmitter is going in next year's budget

George Simmons wrote:

Without the music it's all just visual gibberish.

Spot on!!

If you don't agree. Have you ever tried to watch one of our/your shows with any music?:shock:

MikeA wrote:

I saw 2 other displays this weekend also. One we just wanted to leave during each song but I stayed in hopes it would get better. As I was driving off my wife told me that if my show was ever that bad she would un plug the whole thing.
For as much as we wanted to get away from that show we were hoping for a longer show at the next display. Both feelings were directly effected by the music choice.

so what made the music choices bad for you?

Songs too slow/too fast?

Too religious?

Too funny?

Not Christmas Music?

Please tell...

jimswinder wrote:

MikeA wrote:

Songs too slow/too fast?

Too religious?

Too funny?

Not Christmas Music?

Please tell...

too slow, too wordy and some of them I did could not even tell what they were. The whole family drove away with the same impression so I know it's not just me.
I know music is of personal choice but we do this hobby not only for our enjoyment but for other's also. I am sure that there are people who liked his show.
It seems the majority of traffic I get has children with young adults in the car with the occasional drunks in a limo. That is who I cater too.
Telling someone else what music they should like or should not is impossible so my point is moot here and probably out of line.

MikeA wrote:

too slow, too wordy and some of them I did could not even tell what they were.

so bad audio?

or just songs you did not recognize?

jimswinder wrote:

MikeA wrote:
too slow, too wordy and some of them I did could not even tell what they were.

so bad audio?

or just songs you did not recognize?

He did have a good transmitter.
So hard to answer your "why"
When I cook BBQ there are some things I like that the general public does not like (very spicy)but I know this so when I cook for them I tone it down. I always try and ask myself if the general public will enjoy the music I choose. I would not be spending all this time just so I can see my own show. I want everyone to enjoy it.
I believe my choices are good but you never know because probably no one will ever be honest if they hate it because of the work they know I put in on it. They will just not attend the show next year or they will talk behind my back (like I am doing now).

I might be one of those people who have not be the most popular selection. Some of songs I use are Snoopy's Christmas that starts off with Old Tamnenbaum. Christmas Cannon by TSO, Music Box Dancer, Wish Listz by TSO, Christmas with a capital C by Go Fish, and Holiday Vacation. Now I think that Christmas Cannon is kind of slow and dry along with Snoopy' Christmas. So I do a slow then a fast and another slow and then another peppier song. Hoping that everyone can enjoy a song here and there. Some might find Christmas with a capital C kind of in your face (suffer *itch) so we do hold that for the last song in the set.

Max-Paul wrote:

I might be one of those people who have not be the most popular selection. Some of songs I use are Snoopy's Christmas that starts off with Old Tamnenbaum. Christmas Cannon by TSO, Music Box Dancer, Wish Listz by TSO, Christmas with a capital C by Go Fish, and Holiday Vacation. Now I think that Christmas Cannon is kind of slow and dry along with Snoopy' Christmas. So I do a slow then a fast and another slow and then another peppier song. Hoping that everyone can enjoy a song here and there. Some might find Christmas with a capital C kind of in your face (suffer *itch) so we do hold that for the last song in the set.

I had the same thoughts about Capitol C being in your face, but everyone seems to love it more than I expected since I'm very close to the PC(politically correct) crowd. I have done 3-4 songs by Go Fish.

If the sound was so crappy, did you let the homeowner know or just drive off? If I'm over-deviated on a repeater, you'd tell me right? So why not tell the guy who's running the show? If he had the volume turned up too high into the radio, that would cause the distortion. If MY audio was crappy, I'd want someone to knock on my door and tell me, so I can fix it.

TJ, NS2E

MikeA wrote:

I always try and ask myself if the general public will enjoy the music I choose.
I do too but no matter what I know there will be people who don't like this song or that song. If you try to find music that pleases everyone you won't have any music at all. Worst case scenario - they drive off and the space is instantly taken by someone else who DOES like the song.
Just last night I had an 85-year old woman (the mom of my deceased best friend) in tears with Pink Floyd. She said she heard that music so often while Rick was young but she never realized how beautiful it could be.

Max-Paul wrote:

I might be one of those people who have not be the most popular selection. Some of songs I use are Snoopy's Christmas that starts off with Old Tamnenbaum. Christmas Cannon by TSO, Music Box Dancer, Wish Listz by TSO, Christmas with a capital C by Go Fish, and Holiday Vacation.

LOL

I also have Snoopys Christmas, Christmas Cannon and Christmas with A Capital "C"...

and I think Snoopys Christmas is not my best song...not the song but my sequencing of it...

I take pride in my audio. It's the one thing that even us technical people can get right but it does take time. Along with good audio, I think it's also important to get the levels the same so you're not constantly adjusting the volume control.

You will know your audio is good when you can hear it in the house and they have their windows up.

TJ Hvasta wrote:

If the sound was so crappy, did you let the homeowner know or just drive off? If I'm over-deviated on a repeater, you'd tell me right? So why not tell the guy who's running the show? If he had the volume turned up too high into the radio, that would cause the distortion. If MY audio was crappy, I'd want someone to knock on my door and tell me, so I can fix it.

TJ, NS2E

No one home. I sent a letter (yes, real postal service type).

jimswinder wrote:

MikeA wrote:

Songs too slow/too fast?

Too religious?

Too funny?

Not Christmas Music?

Please tell...

Not Christmas Music. That's all. The trick to the rest is to try and have a good mix for all walks of life. I want everyone to enjoy the show. I have some Techno, Country, Rock, Pop, Classics. Hoping to add some of the newer stuff for the teenagers next year.

I can see having some other stuff mixed in, if it has a good beat. But it's Christmas, ya gotta have Christmas music.

Back on the original topic...

I would hope that someone would tell me if my audio was that bad. I didn't know until I got in the car and tested it.