Light-O-Rama Forums

Cat 5 connectors

Denise Brunner

Has anyone use the Di-electric grease on their cat 5 wires??? I use couplers and they "rust" up, will the di-electric grease impead the digital signal at all.

Thanks,

Denise

You could also use 3M Rubber Splicing tape.

You could even do three layers: First cover with electrical tape, then a layer of rubber splicing tape and then a layer of electrical tape.

The only down side is that it may gather dirt into difficult to clean connectors. So use extra caution when storing and handling the cables to keep them out of any dirt or dust. Zip tying a baggie around the cable ends when they are not in the controller might be a good idea to keep them from picking up dirt.

-klb- wrote:

The only down side is that it may gather dirt into difficult to clean connectors. So use extra caution when storing and handling the cables to keep them out of any dirt or dust. Zip tying a baggie around the cable ends when they are not in the controller might be a good idea to keep them from picking up dirt.

This is an advantage to using the "three layer" method I listed. The outer layer of electrical tape prevents dirt from sticking to the splicing tape.

Of course the grease and baggie method would be cheaper....

The problem with using multiple layers of tape is that water always finds its way in and then it just stays there with no way out. I have found taping cause more harm than good. I have used di-electric grease for many years, to keep things clean, after use I clean with contact cleaner which removes the "grease". My only question was with the lower voltage and digital signal how would it effect it.

It shouldn't be any issue. The grease is often used on boat and RV trailer connectors for the same reason. While it is higher current, it is only 12v, and no issues.

I'd have a bigger concern about the contact cleaner, in that historically, many of them left corrosive residue behind, causing more problems in the future.

The grease will not affect it. Using tape is likely to give you more problems, as it is likely to retain water as well as allowing air to the connections.

Regards,

Alan.

The "triple tape way" is the manufacturer spec 'd way to do it. This is how I was trained to do it when I installed and serviced radio repeater antennas.

The rubber tape does all the work really. The outer (third layer) of electrical tape is there to keep dirt and grime from sticking to the rubber tape and provide added sealant. The first layer (electrical tape) is there so that if/when you need to remove the connector, it is easy to cut off your taping (since the rubber is so sticky).

In cold weather, I would quickly run a propane torch over the rubber before putting the final layer on - this made the rubber a tad gooey and pliable.

Not saying this is the only way to go - but it is certainly a viable alternative.