Light-O-Rama Forums

Bulk Triac's

rgardner518

I have a bad Triac on two different controllers. I got a hold of Kevin at Light-o-Rama, who was nice enough to ship me 5, free of charge. I have seen on the forum that some people have bought them in bulk from a company that being with an "M", but could not find the answer when searching the forum. I want to buy a bunch to have a spare parts. Either from the shack, or that "M" company.

If anyone can post the link to the right part for me, that would be great! If I read the part right.

I'm looking for a Triac part number: BTA16-600BW

I know I can get them from LOR. I was just trying to find outside companies. I know LOR is really busy.

JBullard wrote:

The one without the copyrighted image next to it would be my choice

The one without this image?

Attached files 291188=16107-to-220.jpg

I am kind of a newbie at this. This is my 2nd year. Went from 1 to 6 controllers. Having problems with triad going out this year. I think I want to buy a soldering kit and traics to try and make the repairs my self. Do you guys have any recommendation on soldering kits and anything else I need to get started? Also looks like mouser is the place to order parts. Just want to make sure I order the right ones.

papap wrote:

I am kind of a newbie at this. This is my 2nd year. Went from 1 to 6 controllers. Having problems with triad going out this year. I think I want to buy a soldering kit and traics to try and make the repairs my self. Do you guys have any recommendation on soldering kits and anything else I need to get started? Also looks like mouser is the place to order parts. Just want to make sure I order the right ones.

This is the solder station I use. Meets my needs.

http://www.mpja.com/LED-DISPLAY-DIGITAL-SOLDER-STATION-ZD-929C/productinfo/15845+TL/

Be careful when ordering triacs, some of them are "non isolated" meaning that the tab is energized along with pin #2. LOR uses the "isolated triacs" meaning that the metal tab is NOT energized while it is powered up.

lonewolvie wrote:

Be careful when ordering triacs, some of them are "non isolated" meaning that the tab is energized along with pin #2. LOR uses the "isolated triacs" meaning that the metal tab is NOT energized while it is powered up.

As long as you match the bta-600bw part of the part number, you should be good to go. Bta by itself specifies the insulated gate. Btb would be the non insulated version.

Both of the ones on the mouser link satisfy all requirements for the application. One is extra insulated, and the other has lower hold on current. Either one is a good choice, as the both have the full bta16-600bw designation, plus some extra letters that just add features that dont affect how it works here.

papap wrote:

Paul. Would you recommend one over the other?

No, I would go with what JBullard and klb have posted.:cool: