Light-O-Rama Forums

Ground fault outlet trips when it rains

zanclus

Hi I have a quick question... How does everyone protect their displays from tripping the GFCI . I have my controller plugged into a Ground Fault and when it rains The GF keeps tripping. I have ALL of my connections wrapped securely with electrival tape but it still trips. Does anyone else have this problem nad if so what can I do to avoid this? I do have my controller in the garage so that is not getting wet. Thanks for any info John

For starters, get rid of the tape on your electrical connections, elevate them and keep them off the ground.

Do a search in the forum on the topic..tons and tons of good reading and sage advice.

DonFL wrote:

For starters, get rid of the tape on your electrical connections, elevate them and keep them off the ground.

Do a search in the forum on the topic..tons and tons of good reading and sage advice.

That's the first step. The tape can trap in moisture and cause more problems than it solves.

Over the past years I have been able to reduce the trips to just about none.
* Make sure every connection is off the ground!!!!!
* Everywhere I have strings connecting to each other I position them so that the open female part of the plug is facing down.
* The female ends of my strings are positioned facing down
* In the cases where I think I may have an issue I put one of those plastic "baby proof" outlet caps in the female connection.

I never tape or put my connections in plastic bags as this just tends to hold in the water. Bottom line is that at every step of building and set up make sure every plug/connection allows water to drain out.

I had the same issue the first year I did my display. After I removed all the electrical tape from the connections, the issues went away. I don't even bother covering the female connections or elevating the connection off the ground.

Jim Hans wrote:

Over the past years I have been able to reduce the trips to just about none.
* Make sure every connection is off the ground!!!!!
* Everywhere I have strings connecting to each other I position them so that the open female part of the plug is facing down.
* The female ends of my strings are positioned facing down
* In the cases where I think I may have an issue I put one of those plastic "baby proof" outlet caps in the female connection.

I never tape or put my connections in plastic bags as this just tends to hold in the water. Bottom line is that at every step of building and set up make sure every plug/connection allows water to drain out.

Ditto. Works for me. Last night was all rain during the 5 1/2 hours and not one issue.