Light-O-Rama Forums

LOR S3 3.1.4 oddity

JonB256

Here is what I'm running, then I'll explain the problem and the workaround.

Running LOR 3.1.4 Advanced
Windows 7 64bit
3 DMX Universes, no LOR USBRS485 connected
Universe 1 is an ENTTEC Pro
Universe 2 is a Lynx
Universe 3 is a Lynx

My 23 channel Marty Fan was not working right.
It is on Universe 2, channels 337 to 359.

In the sequence I was running, there were 0.3 second long intervals when it was 100% intensity. A string of them. But, only channels 355 to 359 would flash consistently. Every now and then, another would flash.

I tried lots of things. Played with timings, shifted Dongles between Universes, CAT5 cables, on and on for several hours. Really bugging me.

Oh, and if I pasted the same exact 23 channels onto my MiniTrees on Universe 1, it worked there.

Then, I changed the Intensity from 100% to 90% using the Foreground Effect. It worked!!! (but not as bright)

Then, I changed the Intensity from 90% to 99%. It worked!!! and I can't tell the difference.

Now, does anyone have a clue???

Attached files 288948=15999-99 Percent Marty Fan.jpg

Lots of troubleshooting -

The good news is - it doesn't appear to be an LOR 3.1.4 issue at all.

The bad news is - the Open DMX Firmware for my D-Light controllers is the problem.

But, again, the good news is - it doesn't REQUIRE a firmware upgrade for each chip. The problem is related to the 100% Intensity value of 255 (FF Hex).

You can fix this two ways.

First, if you notice a D-Light Open DMX controller behaving oddly when it should be Full ON, change the intensity to something less than 100%. 99% worked for me.

If you aren't seeing a problem, and not all of mine seemed affected, then don't worry about this. I don't know why there is a difference between boards, but there may be.

Second, to avoid editing all your sequences :D you can upload a Custom Dimming Table to the controller that changes the highest value from 255 to 254.

This problem may also be affecting Shimmers.

The detailed explanation will move from here to the D-Light forum.

JonB256

I know my 'problem' is not the same as yours, but.....

Not sure what it is, but there seems to be some kind of 'issue' between LOR software and d-light hardware. (As you mentioned. Certainly not a LOR problem)

I have d-light Firefli (four of them) and run LOR software. I have never been able to shake the 'sticking pixel' issue that the firefli have.:?

Paul, I had sticking Firefli pixels.

Had :)

I converted all my Firefli controllers to DMX and they don't stick.

I have seen a very very rare Red flash when shimmering. Other than that, Open Firefli fixed my concerns.

Plus, I can run 2 or 3 or 4 or even 5 Firefli strings together on a single controller (not just as slaves, but as 240 RGB channels).

JonB256 wrote:

Paul, I had sticking Firefli pixels.

Had :)

I converted all my Firefli controllers to DMX and they don't stick.

I have seen a very very rare Red flash when shimmering. Other than that, Open Firefli fixed my concerns.

Plus, I can run 2 or 3 or 4 or even 5 Firefli strings together on a single controller (not just as slaves, but as 240 RGB channels).

WOW!! Guess I better get to reading/studying on that. I saw something on their site about firefli and DMX, but did not want to use my LOR iDMX (which I am not using for anything right now) and don't have any DMX dongles.