Light-O-Rama Forums

Trying to run Native DMX off Computer - not working

JHolmes

I'm about ready to break stuff :).
Do you have a minute to take a look and see where my problem may be?
The goal is to run my DMX lights from the computer directly.

I have my RJ-45 Adapter connected to the computer.
In Network Preferences I have assigned the adapter to a DMX Universe and the protocol to be Raw DMX.
I have removed the adapter from the regular network so there is no conflicts.

The "CommListener" turns on as it should and the RJ-45 Adapter appears to be speaking to it correctly.
When I try to run a show the Comm Listener shows "Connection Accepted" but then nothing more...

The line itself runs as follows:
LOR USB-RJ45 Adapter > Cat5 > RJ45 to 3 Pin Adapter > DMX Unit

Do you have a DMX tester? Can you be sure that the DMX signal is there just before you get to your DMX unit?

Do you need the LOR USB-RJ45 Adaptor?

What DMX Dongle are you using?

I'd suspect the RJ45 to DMX adapter.

If your USB-RJ45 is from LOR, then it is outputting signal on pins 4 and 5.

It is likely that the RJ45 to DMX adapter you have is going from Pins 1 and 2, note 4 and 5.

Do you have a link to the RJ45 to DMX adapter? or can use check it with a multimeter to see which pins go where?

Pin to Pin connections are always a concern. Even if you bought the industry standard ENTTEC Open or ENTTEC Pro DMX adapters, they use the 5 pin output, so you would need another adapter to go to 3 pin.

When it comes down to it, there are FOUR standards:

5 Pin DIN plug
3 Pin DIN plug
RJ-45 on pins 1 and 2
RJ-45 on pins 4 and 5 (this is LOR/D-Light/Renard, not technically a "standard" - just widely used)

I'm just getting to this myself, but I think before i get here that my LOR usb-rj45 adaptor is not configured right?
If i don't have any lor equipment plugged in then the LOR s.w. don't see it? I tried to wipe it out and reinstall it. I know this is probably the wrong forum, but if someone can walk me through to make sure I have adaptor installed right, before i get to trying the dmx part itself. I am running window7 64bit. Thanks

Don

Concur with JonB...LOR DMX signal is on pin 4&5. Depending on your DMX device, it may be looking for the signal on pins 1&2. Easy fix is to cut off one end of the cat5 cable and cross pins.

Sizzler...are you stating that the software does not see your usb adapter? You may have to download the drivers for the adapter. I've never had too with Windows 7, but did with XP. You adapter should have instructions for how to download the drivers.

Sizzler wrote:

I'm just getting to this myself, but I think before i get here that my LOR usb-rj45 adaptor is not configured right?
... but if someone can walk me through to make sure I have adaptor installed right, before i get to trying the dmx part itself. I am running window7 64bit. Thanks

Don

First, download the latest FTDI VCP drivers from the FTDI website. Look for the "setup executable" over in the comments section. Version 2.08.14

http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/VCP.htm

With the adapter connected to a USB port, run the setup.exe program. It will install the latest and best version.

Common problem with the FTDI based units is that people will install the D2XX drivers. WON'T WORK! Need VCP.

I did the ftd clean program, and reinstalled the drivers a few different ways, LOR only sees the LOR units tha are conected to it, but not the adaptor itself? If i go to network preferences under dmx section i can only pick none for adaptor?How do i know if usb-rj45 is installed right? Should i beable to see it anywhere? All LOR controllers work when hooked up to it, but if i try it with nothing, or just to dmx controller LOR software don't see adaptor? Any thoughts? Thanks
Dpn

The LOR USB adapter needs to be assigned to the universe. You should see something other than (none) in the drop down for universe 1 in the Network Preferences. It should be an identifier number for that USB adapter.

Make sure your lights are set for universe 1.

Also, make sure your LOR USB adapter isn't assigned to an LOR Network. It can only be LOR or DMX.

you can check to see if the adapter is recognized under comm ports in the device manager.

• The topic was locked