Light-O-Rama Forums

Unknown Device - CTB16PC

Papa-LF

While finishing my setup I had a CTB16PC that was giving me some fits. FIrst it wouldn't show up, and when I messed with it and unhooked the extra cat 5 (another controller will be behind it in the morning) it started showing up when i unhooked that extra 3 foot cable - tested the cable, noting wrong with it - I have never seen extra cable connected cause trouble - but hey -- anyway as you can see by my pic it is showing up as Unknown Device - it tests OK and yes i have reset it. When its on the network by itself its fine - reporting correctly. Using ver 3.1.2 Any ideas?

Attached files 288575=15978-Unknown Device.jpg

Are you by chance using a repeater? I had that issue and the way I was using the repeater was the cause. Except in my case it was any number of controllers, and not always the same ones, that might or might not show up correctly.

If it's always the same controller I'd suspect something screwy in that unit. But I'm nowhere near smart enough to say what it might be. I've got one controller that hasn't reported in to the HU for two years now. Damnedest thing I've seen - no matter which hole I plug the cat5 into it simply will not talk to the HU. Yet it works just fine. I guess that's all that really matters. But I still keep a spare on hand...

George, maybe its good I have a spare. I reconnected it by itself again and now its not recognized by hardware utility at all. Its not new, been in the same position for 3 years now. I'll pull it tomorrow in the daylight. I had 2 spares, but the son had a need for my older one. Guess you cant have to many spares. LOL

my question is did you make your own cable? and if so, what is the config you used. someone made a cable and thought if they just went in order on both side, it wouldnt matter. it should or would work. but the pins does matter when making your own cords.

eia/tia 568 a or b

OK - now this makes no sense - I log into the controller with my laptop at the controller, it correctly identifies the controller - I am able to make any and all changes to it re-flash the hardware - change the identifier - test it - no problems.. Back inside on my workstation - same issue, Unknown device, even though I moved it from #13 to 19...
The difference is on the laptop I have old version 2.9.4 (I believe thats correct) on XP pro. S3.1.2 on the workstation.

So what am i missing here?

Papa I know you have been doing this for a while like a lot of us. Did you reset the unit ID for it using your show computer? I had the same thing happen to me this past week (thanks to my own stupidity) and had to reconnect to my show computer and reset the ID on the controller.

jfelix wrote:

Papa I know you have been doing this for a while like a lot of us. Did you reset the unit ID for it using your show computer? I had the same thing happen to me this past week (thanks to my own stupidity) and had to reconnect to my show computer and reset the ID on the controller.

This Three year old controller appears to have a failure of sorts. For the last 6 years I have set the controllers in my shop, placed them in the display and never had a problem with the show machine finding them correctly.
I will pull it this morning and see what is happening. Maybe another controller is the issue, or a piece of cat 5.
My challenge is at then end of the run is my Servo Dog controller (not yet in place). I would hate for the key piece in my show to fail due to another controller being flaky.

I just received shipment on a 4th controller - LOR 1602Wg3. I am using a wireless linker on this one. When I hit the refresh button, 4 units are found but the 4th unit is being looked at as a "04 - unknown device???"
Any ideas?

You've got nothing to worry about. The S2 software doesn't have one little line of text in one little file that describes the hardware. Why? The G3 controllers were not around when S2 was released.

The controller will function normally.

I had a failed/damaged connector on the the board. Am sill very much at a loss as to how that happened. Ask any of my kids, I guard my equipment very closely. Controller is repaired. Also found my long factory test cable with an open.

Blink On!