Light-O-Rama Forums

Just replaced the WH2 fm with EDM

Jim Saul

Jordan23 wrote:

I'm not the brightest bulb in the box, but aren't these types of transmitters illegal?

Thanks for letting me know.

No, not illegal, IF operated within the FCC Part 15 regulations.

Using outside antennas not furnished by the device mfg, or certain other modifications, could result with them being in non-compliance with Part 15

Jim Saul wrote:

I'm perfectly fine with the distance, no issues there :)
I just do not know if A) 50mw is too much for the rubber duck antenna - I do not want to burn up the transmitter. and B) Bee and Jeff both said the sound quality would be noticeably better. I cant picture it getting much better given that it's comparable with my satellite radio in the car, but I thought the WH2 sounded ok till I heard the EDM.

If I've got nothing to worry about in terms of burning it up, then I'll probably take that off the list for next year and put the money towards RGB ribbons.

I found with my EDM that when I changed from the included piece of wire that they sent with it (mine did NOT come with a rubber ducky antenna) and went to a dipole set up made from rg-8, that not only my range easily tripled on the lowest settin, but also that the clarity improved a very large amount.
Sorry that I do not have any actual "test" data to support this other than my own ears but I did see a significant improvement in the signal out there.
I made my antenna myself from this diagram.
I did borrow a meter from a friend to measure the SWR on the coax antenna just to make sure it was okay. He told me that it was a very good match when we tested it.

If you are getting a good clean signal out at the range you need for your display, then don't mess with it. You should be fine with the included antenna that EDM supplied with it.

As they say, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!".

Attached files 289649=16024-EDMdipole1.gif

Steven wrote:

beeiilll wrote:
The only bad thing about it is that it works so well, I can't convince myself to spring for a new one with the RDS function. I live in such a small town that it really is not worth it.

You want a backup.  I have a backup transmitter to use in the unlikely event that the EDM-RDS fails.  (It's the EDM I ordered earlier without RDS.)

I also have a couple backup controllers, backup lights (of course), a backup USB-485B, a backup ELL, and even a backup computer.  If anything fails, I can have my show back up and running the same night.

Oh I agree with you on the backup Steven.
Sadly with the work situation (or more like the lack of it) here for the last year, I have to worry about other bills right now more than having any spares for anything.
The way things are going, I may have to end up selling some of my display stuff to pay bills before too long and that is not a very appealing thought!
Bill