Light-O-Rama Forums

Just replaced the WH2 fm with EDM

Jim Saul

3 weeks ago I ordered the EDM-LCD-RDS-P, it arrived yesterday. and went live with it last night.

First of all, the 3 solder connections are so simple, you can do it with any soldering iron and practically no experience.

I purchased a volume control for it to make sure the input was low enough, But the output of my computer is apparently low enough that I did not need it and actually had to raise the master volume, go figure.

Anyway, going from the whole house to this is night and day.

Forget the distance for a minute, the sound quality was like going from the built in speakers on your TV to a good surround sound system, I truly did not know how bad the quality was until I had something to compare it to.

As for the distance, the transmitter is in the server room, which is in the far side of the basement, has no windows, and is totally below ground level. I am using the rubber duck antenna from EDM only. I increased the power level to approximately 50 mw, it makes it comfortably 4-5 houses away at the street with no distortion or static. The whole house transmitter did make it the same distance, but to do it, I had to run 200 ft audio extension cord, and place the whole house in a tree about 40 feet from the road.

I have not connected the RDS yet, but so far this little thing is amazing!

Well to quote an old song, "Ain't she sweet".

You are going to love your EDM. I bought an LCD model back when I started doing the animation and it rocks. Even on lowest power setting and using a home made dipole out of coax cable I can listen to the station playing over 1500 feet away.
Such a nice, easy to assemble, easy to operate unit that it is almost a sin.
Gotta love it though.

The only bad thing about it is that it works so well, I can't convince myself to spring for a new one with the RDS function. I live in such a small town that it really is not worth it.
Heck, we will probably have flying cars and the Jetsons next door to me before I need to replace this one!

Bill

Well Jim, I'm not going to say we told you so, but I think we did. Congrats on upgrading to a real transmitter! Your display will never be the same.

Jim Saul wrote:

3 weeks ago I ordered the EDM-LCD-RDS-P, it arrived yesterday. and went live with it last night.

First of all, the 3 solder connections are so simple, you can do it with any soldering iron and practically no experience.

I purchased a volume control for it to make sure the input was low enough, But the output of my computer is apparently low enough that I did not need it and actually had to raise the master volume, go figure.

Anyway, going from the whole house to this is night and day.

Forget the distance for a minute, the sound quality was like going from the built in speakers on your TV to a good surround sound system, I truly did not know how bad the quality was until I had something to compare it to.

As for the distance, the transmitter is in the server room, which is in the far side of the basement, has no windows, and is totally below ground level. I am using the rubber duck antenna from EDM only. I increased the power level to approximately 50 mw, it makes it comfortably 4-5 houses away at the street with no distortion or static. The whole house transmitter did make it the same distance, but to do it, I had to run 200 ft audio extension cord, and place the whole house in a tree about 40 feet from the road.

I have not connected the RDS yet, but so far this little thing is amazing!

Well, technically the WHT did not even come close to the same distance. They would have to start from the same place in order to transmit the same distance.:P

You might want to check the manual on operating the EDM with the whip antenna above 10mw.

If you think it sounds good like that. You wouldn't believe what it sounds like with a good antenna outside mounted 20' off the ground.

jeffl wrote:

You might want to check the manual on operating the EDM with the whip antenna above 10mw.

If you think it sounds good like that. You wouldn't believe what it sounds like with a good antenna outside mounted 20' off the ground.

I agree, the comparison between the whip and a good outside antenna is like the comparison between the EDM and the WH2 (there isn't one!).

Jim Saul wrote:

That says it all. (and I even held off on the smart a** question of "gee Jim, how did you get your entire house up in the tree?..."...:cool:)

You could always leave the WHT in the tree for the squirrels to gnaw on, or pi** on...:shock::shock:

Nothing like another user testimonial to convince people the dollars spent on an EDM are just as worthwhile as any other part of their display.

I'm glad I listened to the forum users about the EDM too. I bought it 6 months ago and am using it for the first time this year for my lights. I have it connected to one of my old amateur radio antennas I have modified on the roof. I am amazed at the sound quality and how well the separation of the stereo is.

Let me also add my congrats Jim.

For those that don't know, the EDM is designed to be used as the "village radio station" in many parts of the world.

So, yes, it has great audio quality, great stereo separation, rock solid PLL circuits, etc.

Been using the EDM since 2007, and love it.

I ordered the EDM-LCD-RDS-P also and is on the way from EDM and was wondering how it will proform. I really wanted one with a enclosure but was all sold out when I ordered. I hope I can buy a enclosure for later.

Bobbyp47 wrote:

I ordered the EDM-LCD-RDS-P also and is on the way from EDM and was wondering how it will proform. I really wanted one with a enclosure but was all sold out when I ordered. I hope I can buy a enclosure for later.

Just put it in in a small (sandwich size) plastic container.

There is some very good info here about setting up EDM RDS and LOR.

Can anyone recomend a not too difficult DIY antenna to make for the EDM? I have nothing to put it on the roof with, so it would either be in the room where it is, or just outside my house on the ground. I could place it on the front lawn with about 50 feet of cable to get it there.

Jim Saul wrote:

Can anyone recomend a not too difficult DIY antenna to make for the EDM? I have nothing to put it on the roof with, so it would either be in the room where it is, or just outside my house on the ground. I could place it on the front lawn with about 50 feet of cable to get it there.

Jim are you sure you even need an outside antenna ?

I have never used anything but the "test" antenna with mine on the low power setting since 2007.

You can google search for J-pole antennas and find lots of designs. For a 50 foot run of coax, be sure you use "low loss" coax or you may only see zero to worst signal at these low power levels km

JBullard wrote:
Jim are you sure you even need an outside antenna ?

I have never used anything but the "test" antenna with mine on the low power setting since 2007.

You can google search for J-pole antennas and find lots of designs. For a 50 foot run of coax, be sure you use "low loss" coax or you may only see zero to worst signal at these low power levels km

Nope, I'm not sure at all. Never got into radio so I really do not have a clue, I was going off of posts 5 & 6
beeiilll wrote:
jeffl wrote:

I agree, the comparison between the whip and a good outside antenna is like the comparison between the EDM and the WH2 (there isn't one!).

I agree with you about the cable, I always read that the cable takes away the advantages gained by the antenna, but like I said, I know next to nothing about RF.

beeiilll wrote:

The only bad thing about it is that it works so well, I can't convince myself to spring for a new one with the RDS function. I live in such a small town that it really is not worth it.

You want a backup. I have a backup transmitter to use in the unlikely event that the EDM-RDS fails. (It's the EDM I ordered earlier without RDS.)

I also have a couple backup controllers, backup lights (of course), a backup USB-485B, a backup ELL, and even a backup computer. If anything fails, I can have my show back up and running the same night.

Jim

The reason I asked is because in post 1 you mentioen getting a solid clean signal 4 to 5 houses away.

Do you need more range then that ?

Some people think they need high power subwoofers in there car stereos, you know the ones, you can here them coming down the street two blocks away lol

i was trained many years ago to never use more power then is necessary

As long as the cars can see and hear my display from the parking / viewing area, I see no reason to transmitt any further

I'm perfectly fine with the distance, no issues there :)
I just do not know if A) 50mw is too much for the rubber duck antenna - I do not want to burn up the transmitter. and B) Bee and Jeff both said the sound quality would be noticeably better. I cant picture it getting much better given that it's comparable with my satellite radio in the car, but I thought the WH2 sounded ok till I heard the EDM.

If I've got nothing to worry about in terms of burning it up, then I'll probably take that off the list for next year and put the money towards RGB ribbons.