Light-O-Rama Forums

Reason #4,831 why HOA's blow.

Bob Hall

The only reason I am in a HOA neighborhood is that when I was looking for a house, there was no place I could get the general layout of house we were looking for, in the general part of the metroplex we were looking for, without getting a HOA out of the deal...

One way to avoid this type of deal is to get on the board. That is how I got my homeowners to even start a decorating contest, But I excluded myself from the competition.

Calvin wrote:

One way to avoid this type of deal is to get on the board.  That is how I got my homeowners to even start a decorating contest,  But I excluded myself from the competition.

Sneaky trick. Although not being able to win the contest takes some of the fun out of it

You should write a book. Seriously...

bradherman wrote:

I was on an HOA board in California for 4 years and my Wife was president for 2.
A closed gate is one thing the HOA can control. Just about anything else is not legally enforceable including fines. You have to pay dues, but the fines are different. Worst they can do is take you to small claims court if you have over $2000 in fined. Small claims court judgements are also non binding.
We bought a new house that did not happen to have an HOA so it's no longer an issue. We still joke from time to time about how toothless they realy are and that people get scared by the letters they send.

We had a guy who built a gazebo on his front lawn in huge violation of the HOA, we tried for 6 years to get him to remove it. We totally failed. He was a lawyer and we tried to fight him, turns out those HOA docs you sign are pretty much suggestions and not binding.
-Brad

Every time I see this thread like this I'm thankful for my dysfunctional neighborhood. I could pile old cars 3 high in my yard and nobody could tell me otherwise.

HOA issues talk to Richard Holdman. He has had battles every year with them over the gate and most years they have voted to keep the gates closed to his neighborhood.

Living in the sticks has its drawbacks some days but I will take it any day over having to deal with an HOA.

I DON'T live in an HOA, and yet I still have a gate!
Once I'm inside my gate behind me privacy fence at the dead end of a road, I can do pretty much what I want.

Oh, and my light display is at my MOM's house. I don't want all those people at MY house . . . . . .

:-)

We are in the process of trying to decide if we want to build a new home or stay where we are. If we build the new home it will be on a large tract of land with a live stock fence and a gate that we will control to make sure the wife's horses stay on the property. We will be in control of the gate and no one else. I have had a lot of fun just dreaming about how I would landscape and design the place to make best use of light show setup.

I want enough property around me that I do not have to worry about who my new neighbors are. :)

Not all HOA's are created equal, that's for sure. The President of my HOA is my next door neighbor and she loves my display. We aren't really anal about the CCR's. Technically I'm not supposed to have a sign out, but nobody has complained in 4 years.

BBY2KS2K wrote:

Not all HOA's are created equal, that's for sure. The President of my HOA is my next door neighbor and she loves my display. We aren't really anal about the CCR's. Technically I'm not supposed to have a sign out, but nobody has complained in 4 years.

I live out in the sticks, but we have an HOA, we hold an open house holiday party to kick off the lighting season and invite EVERYONE on our street...so far, 3 years, no complaints...we even had security okay with us blocking off part of our street so people could put chairs on the street to watch on opening night. I haven' t checked with the HOA to see if i am supposed to or not, but ours is also governed by homeowners, we got rid of the paid group about 4 years ago.

I actually like having an HOA. I've heard horror stories about neighborhood nazis, but ours in nothing like that. We're a relatively small development (87 homes) and are self governed too. Unless you're being a total jackass, they don't give you any grief.