Light-O-Rama Forums

Reason #4,831 why HOA's blow.

Bob Hall

Makes me really happy that I live in a city that pretty much lets residents do what they want, and I am no where near a HOA.

HOA? Hooray I don't live in one!!!

But if I did. I would have certain expectations, like not having a bunch of outsiders coming into my "HOA club".:)

When you live in a HOA you pay for your right not to be able to do certain things. :shock:

We didn't really know much about homeowners associations when we built our home (still here after 19 years). We had our pick of lots on the township road or on the private drive (with a HOA). We decided on the township road because we thought it would be plowed quicker. After listening to the issues that arose in the HOA over the next few years, we were sooo happy we didn't build there.

Cracker wrote:

Dont get me stated...my Light shows are probably no more becasue of HOA:(

That would blow. I have enjoyed you show for 2 years now. I am in the San Francisco Bay area and I told tons of people about your display, some here and some of my family that lives near you.

HOA don't let me put any sign (only allowed is house sale or rent) also don't let me put speakers outside of the house. I have to use a small LED scroll message, if you are lucky you can see it in my profile pic.

Cracker wrote:

Dont get me stated...my Light shows are probably no more becasue of HOA:(

No good. After looking at LOR stuff over the past couple of years and trying to decide to or not, your display this year tipped the scales and plunged me into this addiction.

HOAs make me crazy, and I don't even live in one. If I did, my wardrobe would likely be striped coveralls. Too much meddling and nit picking for me to sanely manage.

I am glad I do not live in one because if the hoa (hateful Overpaid a-holes) tells me what to do on my property I will remind them that this is still America and people died for our freedom to do what we want do do on our property and that this is not a communist nation and I would probably add that when they pay my bills and mortgage then they can tell me what to do. but this is comming from me which I have a short fuse

We are only hair widths away now from what a Nazi Controlled Germany was before they had their butts handed to them... all these HOA's.. fight them NOW or else. So glad I don't live in a Nazi ooopps HOA camp... but.. I will say I wonder with what I've read of peoples experiences with them.. were they the bullied ones in schools and now are letting it out on others? yes HOA's might be good in some way.. but hoa sort of sounds like its simply ho's pronounced with an accent aka works for the highest bidder's ideas

My HOA is ok with my lights, I just cant have anything on the GRASS. Im in a townhouse which creates its own decoration issues. I will be posting the videos tonight. My first year went great so far. Once you see the place you will see Im limited to basicly 2 dimensions. Wont stop me thought!

Best part of my HOA is gates, dont have to mow, tend to bushes or trees, exterior is kept up and roof is also thier issue! Dont pay water or basic cable!

T110431 wrote:

I am glad I do not live in one because if the hoa (hateful Overpaid a-holes) tells me what to do on my property I will remind them that this is still America and people died for our freedom to do what we want do do on our property and that this is not a communist nation and I would probably add that when they pay my bills and mortgage then they can tell me what to do. but this is comming from me which I have a short fuse

IF you lived in a HOA, it is still America and you would have the right to move out and not pay to follow their rules.:P

I can't imagine choosing to live in an HOA and PAY them to let me know what I can and can't do.:shock:

Why do people pay to live in them?:?

Paul Roberson wrote:

T110431 wrote:

IF you lived in a HOA, it is still America and you would have the right to move out and not pay to follow their rules.:P

I can't imagine choosing to live in an HOA and PAY them to let me know what I can and can't do.:shock:

Why do people pay to live in them?:?

The answer was already written: "Best part of my HOA is gates, dont have to mow, tend to bushes or trees, exterior is kept up and roof is also thier issue! Dont pay water or basic cable!"

GoofyGuy wrote:

My HOA is ok with my lights, I just cant have anything on the GRASS. Im in a townhouse which creates its own decoration issues. I will be posting the videos tonight. My first year went great so far. Once you see the place you will see Im limited to basicly 2 dimensions. Wont stop me thought!

Best part of my HOA is gates, dont have to mow, tend to bushes or trees, exterior is kept up and roof is also thier issue! Dont pay water or basic cable!

BUT, they/someone may not be OK with your lights next year.

They are like the government. "We will do this, this, and this for you, (using the money we take from you btw;)) BUT you can't do this, this, or that anymore.:cool:

T110431 wrote:

I am glad I do not live in one because if the hoa (hateful Overpaid a-holes) tells me what to do on my property I will remind them that this is still America and people died for our freedom to do what we want do do on our property and that this is not a communist nation and I would probably add that when they pay my bills and mortgage then they can tell me what to do.

If you buy a house in an HOA neighborhood, then you are signing away your rights and giving authority to the HOA to manage what you do with your property. Not that it is your situation. Oh, and paying them for it as well.

There are some benefits of belonging to a HOA. Each one is different, and not all are necessarily overbearing. However, you do have some power to keep the riff raff from moving in next door and wrecking their place along with the value of yours. But, that protection does come at a cost; freedom.

Another drawback is that an HOA can be a moving target. Depending on who has been elected to oversee, or those who get involved, rules can be changed and you can be forced to comply. Get a few in there with personal agendas against black cars, or red flowers, or whatever else they come up with and you might find yourself cross ways with a HOA that was not so bad before.

Living in a HOA neighborhood is a choice. To each his own. My choice is to stay out of the game and spectate. :P

GoofyGuy wrote:

Well, give it a year or two. Someone will complain, or enough someones will complain and then all of a sudden the lights won't be "cool" anymore and you'll face having to remove them or pay fines and whatever else they throw your way.

I would wager that Cracker's HOA was okay with his lights when he started, and now that he has progressed to the level he is at, they are now a problem for whatever reason.

Not trying to sour you against your HOA, just am throwing out what I have seen and heard of happening before. Just be careful about what you do!

GoofyGuy wrote:

That's a heck of a deal. I haven't heard of a HOA doing all of that. But, what are your dues in comparison to what it would actually cost you to maintain all of that on your own?

De Trommelslager wrote:

GoofyGuy wrote:

Well, give it a year or two. Someone will complain, or enough someones will complain and then all of a sudden the lights won't be "cool" anymore and you'll face having to remove them or pay fines and whatever else they throw your way.

I would wager that Cracker's HOA was okay with his lights when he started, and now that he has progressed to the level he is at, they are now a problem for whatever reason.

Not trying to sour you against your HOA, just am throwing out what I have seen and heard of happening before. Just be careful about what you do!

GoofyGuy wrote:

That's a heck of a deal. I haven't heard of a HOA doing all of that. But, what are your dues in comparison to what it would actually cost you to maintain all of that on your own?

$85 a month and I have a gate thats 100% closed unless you have a code or key, no water, cable, lawn maintanence, termites, exterior structure, roads, trash pick up. The subdivision is 2 years old and loving it. The only downside is that I cant get traffic but I did it for me. Only thing I dont like is that I cant put anything on the lawn in terms of decorations I have to stay inside the mulch field or on the building. So no mega trees . . . . yet I will find a way. If they decided to prohibit my creative side, I will move easy enough its just a home. On my unit being a townhouse I took over my neighbors as well, Im the end unit so I decorated thiers as well, they love it. Didnt cost them a penny, all power comes from me and they are a million years old so they cant decorate anyways. Wait till I pay off Cracker for some of his Halloween shows, then I will be hated!

I was on an HOA board in California for 4 years and my Wife was president for 2.
A closed gate is one thing the HOA can control. Just about anything else is not legally enforceable including fines. You have to pay dues, but the fines are different. Worst they can do is take you to small claims court if you have over $2000 in fined. Small claims court judgements are also non binding.
We bought a new house that did not happen to have an HOA so it's no longer an issue. We still joke from time to time about how toothless they realy are and that people get scared by the letters they send.

We had a guy who built a gazebo on his front lawn in huge violation of the HOA, we tried for 6 years to get him to remove it. We totally failed. He was a lawyer and we tried to fight him, turns out those HOA docs you sign are pretty much suggestions and not binding.
-Brad