Light-O-Rama Forums

Issues with importing Channel Configuration File

Amie

Having options on import would be a great solution. I'd love it if it would match by channel name.

I think the issue is that the import of the Channel Configuration file is serving two very different purposes. 1) to set up the design of a sequence/animation. When first creating a file, we upload the configuration file to bring in all of our channels and tracks so we can start designing the new sequence.
and 2) to import and/or change the unit and channel values. The has nothing to do with the setup of how we design a sequence, but everything to do with how the show runs. The sequence editor doesn't need this information.

This is the part that I always have issues with because it is not something that I do once a year and I'm done. I may move a few things around in my display and need to change a channel or two. Going into each sequence and uploading the channel configuration file just for this feature, hoping it doesn't mess up my tracks or rearrange my channel names and assign things to different channel numbers is frustrating, at best. This is the part that I believe should work based off of channel names, not position, and should be taken outside of the Sequence Editor.

If I accidentally have a 'Megatree Green1' in Track 1 and Track 2, I want them to both have the same channel and unit number. I don't want one to disappear and the other to have 1/2 the song of data stored in it.