Light-O-Rama Forums

LOR wet

Caleb Linburg

My CTB16PC LOR box was in the rain. The latch on my box isn't the best and it came open during a rainstorm. I am told that the lights were going on and off during the rain, but there was no show playing. I went out closed the box and put a lock on it to keep it closed, I also dried it out as good as I could. What should I do? Should I just run the lights and see what happens?

If any damage were going to happen, it probably already has. But I would unplug it, bring it in, and use a fan or a hair dryer to make sure every bit of moisture has evaporated and it's totally dry inside. Fornt of board and back. Under any ICs. Everything. DRY. Then you can test it inside, or take it back outside and attach everything for a live test.

Good luck. Keep your powder (and your LOR) dry.

D.T.

I know if your cell phone gets wet, it is recommended to put it in rice to draw the moisture out of the thing. The best thing is to let it air dry for more than a short time. Like 24 hours and then try to work it from the HWU.

Chuck

Well I didn't think there would be much of a problem with it because it had been closed for about 5 hours. I went outside with a hair dryer and got all of the water off of it. I used the hardware utility to turn everything on and it worked. Ran it on shimmer and twinkle for about 5 minutes and it is fine. Do you think it is good for a show tonight? I am thinking it is best to keep it in use for a while rather than to let it sit and not use it.

Are LOR enclosures watertight? I have mine in large plastic tool chests but may need to move one out in the elements because one display item it far away. Can the LOR controller be fastened to the pole with no other protection?

They come pretty watertight..... mine is in an old meter board case on the frount deck more for security than anything :P I've seen lots attached to the bottom of mega-trees and things before!! Just hang it the normal way up so that all water can drain out (If any) and don't try to tape over joins in cords because once the water gets in... and it will get in :D.... it won't get out and you will have a very large problem!!

It poored here a few days ago, I was terrified mine would be screwed up, as they turn on 2 hours before I get home from work. In a straight downpour the lights were dancing up a storm. After the rain I went out to check the controllers, no power of course and there was water in there, so Im going to rethink my stand. Most electronics are good in water if power is removed before a short or overheat can happen.

I cover all of my controllers with black Glad 33 gallon trash bags. Not sealed, just covered and secured with a bungee cord to prevent losing the bag in the wind. No one sees the controllers at night. I cover 8 controllers mounted on the stakes I mentioned in the controller mounting thread with 1 bag at the base of my mega tree and no one sees them. Keeps them dry and dust free here. For those living in the snow areas, I have used white trash compactor bags with great results. Those are very thick.

Mwhite7097 wrote:

Are LOR enclosures watertight? I have mine in large plastic tool chests but may need to move one out in the elements because one display item it far away. Can the LOR controller be fastened to the pole with no other protection?

They will keep your units dry, as long as you keep the cover closed. Any moisture that might occur due to condensation has a way our via the bottom entry points.

I have had LOR controllers outside in the wind, rain, hail, and snow, and have had no issues.

I would not recommend sealing the enclosures to make them more water tight, to avoid the risk of retaining moisture and dealing with future corrosion.

Also be sure to have drip loops in any wiring that exits the enclosure and goes to overhead lights/power sources, or when it rains water will follow the cords down, then go up into the enclosure... :shock:

Greg