Light-O-Rama Forums

Two channels on at the same time

ryebred

One of my CTB16PC controllers is behaving strange. When I turn on channel 5, both channel 5 and 7 turn on. If I turn on channel 7 then both 5 and 7 turn on as well. I have verified the cords are plugged in correctly. Perhaps I made a soldering error somewhere? What would cause two channels to respond to commands from each other?

Hi Ryebred
not much help from me I'm afraid,but I can tell you I have a new CTB16 that does the same thing I am waiting for LOR to sort the problem.
I am lucky to have a few spare channels so I can wait until the season is over :?

Just to add to this, I just discovered that my other new CTB16 controller is doing the same thing but with channels 1 and 6. So both new controllers that I bought in September and soldered together have this issue. With one of the controllers, I have some spare channels but the mega tree controllers are full so not sure what to do there. Maybe I will open a LOR support ticket and see if they can help.

Few things to check..

Do you see this behavior when you use the hardware utility to test? That will help determine where the issues lies...sequence, channel config, hardware, etc.

Have you tried a controller reset? Its a quick and easy way to clear any issues that are NOT construction errors or config errors within your sequences.

For a PC controller:

1. power down
2. remove jumper across the second row of header pins
3. power up, give it 30 seconds
4. power down
5. replace jumper
6. power back up, reset unit ID
7. retest

when you first built the controller, did you test channel by channel to confirm it was 100% functional?

If not, its very possibly a soldering error/short/bridge...

The fact you have it on two controller suggests you may have some other configuration problems, so working one controller at a time, and verifying where the issue lies, is essential.

DonFL wrote:

Few things to check..

Do you see this behavior when you use the hardware utility to test? That will help determine where the issues lies...sequence, channel config, hardware, etc.

Have you tried a controller reset? Its a quick and easy way to clear any issues that are NOT construction errors or config errors within your sequences.

For a PC controller:

1. power down
2. remove jumper across the second row of header pins
3. power up, give it 30 seconds
4. power down
5. replace jumper
6. power back up, reset unit ID
7. retest

when you first built the controller, did you test channel by channel to confirm it was 100% functional?

If not, its very possibly a soldering error/short/bridge...

The fact you have it on two controller suggests you may have some other configuration problems, so working one controller at a time, and verifying where the issue lies, is essential.

I agree with Don, this sounds like a configuration issue. I hope this is not a silly question, but have you run the Verifier to ensure you have no duplicate channels mapped? I speak from personal experience, this is easier than you may think!

I will try the hard reset when I get home. LOR support replied back and suggested I try this as well. I noticed the problem during my sequences so I tried activating each channel through the hardware util and saw that when turning one channel on, the other turns on as well. I also ran the verifier and it detected no issues.

I did test all the channels when I completed assembly though I may have only turned on one channel at a time due to only having a couple strings of lights handy at the time.

Well I tried a hard reset and that did not fix anything. A solder bridge would seem more likely on adjacent channels rather than two channels all the way across the board from each other though I suppose it could be applying power to some channel that traverses the board. I was hoping LOR, knowing the electrical diagram of the board, could say check x point for a solder bridge as that could cause this behavior.

At any rate I don't want to climb in the middle of the mega tree and disassemble everything at this point since the show is up and running. I will just run an extension cord to the troublesome channel and hook those lights up to a free channel on another controller and sort out the problem at the end of the season.

I understand what you are saying about adjacent points and a solder bridge. However, I have not traced out things all the way back to the processor to know if adjacent pins at the process is NOT adjacent output on the output of the board.

Chuck

channels 5 and 7 would be same side of board...as would 1 and 6, though, quite some distance.

Based on what you are saying, it does seem like a construction error. Both controlelrs have high power heat sinks? Triac lead shorted to heat sinks has gotten me a couple times..I never used to re-test after installing the high power sink, now I do. Both times it was a hot to heat sink short, so the result, and the issue, was obvious. Depending on which leads are shorted, you may end up with an issue similar to what you are seeing. It would also explain the issue of distance between two channels, and, the fact they are on the same side of the board.