Light-O-Rama Forums

Firewall exception for LORCommListener

jeffl

While trying to troubleshoot the error below I noticed that the windows firewall has an exception for the LORCommListener to communicate outside the machine. This machine is networked but I doubt this rule does any good. I do remember letting the program create the rule when installing the LOR software.

This error appears almost daily and throws the machine into a tailspin unless it's rebooted each day. So far the show runs just fine and I only receive this error when no shows are running or when one show stops and another starts.

Error:

DMX listener error 8 : Error 10055 No buffer space is available10 : Error Relaunching DMX listener

Dialog box popups have:

Dialog has : Invalid procedure call or argument

I believe we're having an email conversation about the DMX error message, so here I'm just going to respond to the question about the firewall:

The LORCommListener listens on an IP port for incoming messages over the network. The Show Player and the Sequence Editor send messages to that port for the LORCommListener to act upon. If your firewall disallows the LORCommListener from listening to that port, or the Show Player or Sequence Editor from sending to that port, then your DMX universes will not receive lighting commands from LOR.

Yes Bob we are talking thanks. I understand the need now. For mine I'm wondering if the rule needs to allow communications outside the machine, or just local.

My hope was that something outside this machine was not be trying to port scan or something that would cause the CommListener to go south.

I think allowing only local communications should be fine. It's not totally clear to me, though, because sometimes when programs say "local", they really mean "the loopback IP address", and I'm not sure that we use that. So, if you're going to make this change, I suggest testing your DMX device through LOR both before and after the change to see whether the change might have stopped comm to it. Make sure to unload and reload the LOR Control Panel and the Sequence Editor in between the two tests.

• The topic was locked