Light-O-Rama Forums

Can you bypass one of the ethernet ports

srdavidiv

I have 2 of my 7 controllers that will not "pass through" the signals to the next controller. I have a wireless linker I can use but that still leave one that will not pass through. I have 6 16 channels and one 8 which is the last one. I cant move the 16 where the 8 channel is. My question is this. Can I use a switch to bypass the ethernet port that is not working?

The ports on the LOR controllers although are the RJ45 as used in ehternet are NOT ethernet protocol. The protocol is 485 and if used with an ethernet switch likely to cause damage. You can use telephone wire for the one or 2 controllers that not passing thru.

Is this a board that you assembled? Might be worth heating and reflowing the solder for the connectors. They are physically connectec via traces on the board. So if they are not passing thru, then I think most likely is a solder issue.

Chuck

That was going to be my next question. How can I use the phone ports? Do I just use a regular phone cable to connect the controllers? The series goes like this. 1 works, 2 will not pass through to 3, 3, passes to 4, 4 wont pass to 5, the rest work fine.

srdavidiv wrote:

That was going to be my next question. How can I use the phone ports? Do I just use a regular phone cable to connect the controllers?

I have the same problem and that is my question also. I have 500' runs. I have a cat5 tester and the cables are good.

colonel wrote:

srdavidiv wrote:
That was going to be my next question. How can I use the phone ports? Do I just use a regular phone cable to connect the controllers?

I have the same problem and that is my question also. I have 500' runs. I have a cat5 tester and the cables are good.
you have 500 foot run(S)? Just how many of these 500 foot runs do you have? In a perfect network you can only have a total of 4000 feet of cable. Playing it safe, after about 3000 feet you need to use a repeater. But if you are having problems and you think your total length in a single network might be the cause of the problem, then again install a repeater.

Max-Paul wrote:

colonel wrote:
srdavidiv wrote:
Do I just use a regular phone cable to connect the controllers?

I have 500' runs. I have a cat5 tester and the cables are good.
you have 500 foot run(S)? Just how many of these 500 foot runs do you have? In a perfect

I run ELL's to the "remote" displays and daisy no more than 4 controllers and no more than 500' between. An extension cord thing. I am sure we have just pulled the controller cat plugs loose as all has worked for 3 years now. The boot on the cables get hard and a slight tug/struggle to unplug is the culprit. Did one myself! :D

I've not done this but does Ell in and RJ11 out to the next box and the next box work? I won't be on site until the 2nd to test and need to order the phone line if this is doable. Too late to get fixed and only one backup controller. I could probaly move some boxes around but that is not that easy. :)

I think I remember once hearing that you could not go from the RJ-45 to the RJ-11 port. But I will be truthful. I thought that the pair that carries the com data is common to all three sockets. Frankly I would think that one could come in on any of the three and leave out on any of the other two sockets. With this said, remember that this is a daisy chain topology. meaning you go from point A to B to C and so on. I would avoid going from A to B and C.

Hope someone else will come along and confirm or deny what I have said above.

Phone wire uses a crossover wiring.

Phone wire can only input to the RJ11 jack, and only output on the second (last) RJ45 jack, according to the verbage in the controller hardware manual.

Max-Paul wrote:

meaning you go from point A to B to C and so on.  I would avoid going from A to B and C.

I think that is right since the Cat5 only uses 3-4-5-6 and RJ11 is 4 wires. I did read that a splitter soes not work, but here is all I want to do:

Ell to #1, rj11 to #2 ahhh answered my own question! No rj11 out to #3 from #2! So the rj11 is only good between 2 boxes and one has to have a working Cat5??

colonel wrote:

Max-Paul wrote:
meaning you go from point A to B to C and so on. I would avoid going from A to B and C.

I think that is right since the Cat5 only uses 3-4-5-6 and RJ11 is 4 wires. I did read that a splitter soes not work, but here is all I want to do:

Ell to #1, rj11 to #2 ahhh answered my own question! No rj11 out to #3 from #2! So the rj11 is only good between 2 boxes and one has to have a working Cat5??
Ell to #1 via Cat5 into the RJ-45 jack. RJ-11 from #1 to #2 to the RJ-11 jack (am I right?). So, ya you will have to go from #2 to #3 via a Cat5 cable and use the RJ-45 connector on both boxes.

I think we are both speaking the same language here.

Max-Paul wrote:

Ell to #1, rj11 to #2 ahhh answered my own question! No rj11 out to #3 from #2! So the rj11 is only good between 2 boxes and one has to have a working Cat5??Ell to #1 via Cat5 into the RJ-45 jack. RJ-11 from #1 to #2 to the RJ-11 jack (am I right?).  So, ya you will have to go from #2 to #3 via a Cat5 cable and use the RJ-45 connector on both boxes.

I think we are both speaking the same language here.

Yes! RJ11 works only between 2 boxes.