Light-O-Rama Forums

LOR Show Problems

Lou Knudson

This was to be my fourth year running LOR. Ran 32 channels and original version of LOR for 3 years. Updated to 2.9.4 several months ago which was max. version of my lisence. Added 32 additional channels and light linkers which I had purchased a couple of years ago, but did not use because of health issues.Tested show using 64 channel versions of original sequences I had purchased, and again with new sequences purchased. Everything ran OK until I started getting a message that LOR Monitor encountered a problem and needs to close. Did Windows XP and Media Player updates as suggested by Bob at LOR. Still had the problem and then virus scan found a problem that could not be removed. Had virus removed and system files repaired, but still have the same problem. Uninstalled and reinstalled LOR, but the problem remains. Purchased a used PC with fresh install of XP and anti virus software. Updated to LOR 3.1.2. Everything ran OK while testing for several days except the last 2 times when the show failed to start even though it was enabled and had the correct start time. Found the show started up after rebooting the PC without having to do anything else both times.I had been setting up a back up PC which I purchased that had been running fine, but started getting a error with the sound card, so it must have a hardware problem. The only time any of these PC's are on the Internet are for downloading sequences,updating Windows and anti virus software. Virus scans have not found anything since the original problem. Have a third PC which is a replacement for the one with the hardware problem, but at this point I'm not sure how to proceed or if the problems are PC or LOR software issues. Does one version of Windows work better with S3 such as Windows 7 VS. XP? I'm supposed to be leaving this afternoon to vist relatives for a couple of days for Thanksgiving, but may end up staying home to resolve this problem since I usually start running the show this weekend.Sorry for the long post. Just trying to give enough details to get the show running. Almost ready to give up,but a lot of people are expecting it to run.

Nothing that you posted indicates any kind of problems with the LOR software. 2.9.4 was released over a year ago and had no problems.

S3 3.1.2 also has no reported problems like you describe.

S3 works very well with any version of windows from XP and forward.

In my opinion, your problems are PC related, perhaps in your "hibernation" settings, though just a guess.

I don't like running a screen saver on mt show pc and don't want it to hibernate at all. Is this the first year of running ELL's? Have you tried eliminating them from the scenario?

I checked the hibernation settings and everything was set to never as far as the PC going to sleep. I also turned off the screen saver and turned off the real time scanning for the antivirus software.

I set up a show to start at noon to run once every hour and it has been running as scheduled so I thought the changes I made fixed the problem.

It just occured to me that I also restarted the PC which always corrected the problem when the show did not start in the past so maybe I have not proved anything yet.

I also installed LOR and downloaded my sequences on another PC to be used as a back up. Everything went fine until I tried setting up the USB to RS 485 converter. I installed the drivers as in the past and when I plugged it in got a message that new hardware was found and was working correctly. When I tried to open the LOR hardware screen it only partially opened so I was not able to configure the COM port. When I closed the hardware screen it said it was not responding. Tried using several different USB ports and had the same problem.The sequences seem to play OK,but cannot communicate with the controllers since I cannot configure the COM port.

I will be out of town for a couple of days, but usually have wifi available if anyone has any ideas how to correct the latest problem.

Lou

I had similiar issues and had to remove LOR and wipe the registry. The reinstalled version seems to be working.

I have the same problem its aggravating. I ran fine for three yrs last year I decided to do an lor update so I know I had everything good and up to date from firmware to software and thats when the problem began. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling with no luck. Called lor and they said they don't know what's wrong that I should try using a ferret choke maybe I am getting feedback on my cat 5 wire. Well this yr I started it up at 5pm and by 9:20 the lor tray came up with an error so I had to restart computer. As soon as you restart it's good. Last yr I even made a practice of restarting every night before the show and that didn't help. There must be an issue cause last yr I did the same as you with the update and it's been a headache ever since. Sorry to say I'm happy to hear your having the same issue so atleast I know I'm not crazy !!!

Well I bought the new computer as stated above and as of friday its been running without any problems. I still say that there was some kind of glitch with my other cpu and the lor update i did last year cause it worked fine until that update!!!!!!

Please let me know exactly what you purchased or if anything changes as far as how the new computer is working.

I have tried two other "new" computers, but have run into different problems on each of them, so maybe it is time to buy a brand new one. All of them were well above the system requirements for LOR 3.1.2.

I am still having problems with the show starting automatically ever since upgrading to LOR3.1.2. The last time it failed to start I got an error I had not seen before. It said "tm Next Action_Timer Error: Object variable or with block variable not set".

I have also gotten errors that say " Cannot read show file" which other LOR users seem to have had the same problem with after upgrading to 3.1.2.

I am really regretting making the changes I did this year which include:

Upgrading to LOR 3.1.2, adding 32 more channels and ELL's since I cannot seem to get the show running correctly.

I am using a new hp with windows 7 but i am using lor 2.9.4 i wont upgrade to 3 yet it was to new for me at such a close time to when my show was due to start running. There is always glitches and i didnt want to be part of them. I love lor but there phone tech support has gone down hill i remember calling either i got an immediate response or got a call back right away. Now u call you get there answering message that tells you there voice mail crashed which its been saying that for months. Basically you are forced to email when u have a problem which at this time of yr stinks because u need immediate help when your system goes down.

Did you buy the HP off the shelf as configured? Did you have any of the software removed that usually comes preinstalled removed prior to purchasing it? Are you running an anti virus program?

I was using an older HP for the first three years which was running the original version of LOR that I purchased which was 1.6.9 ? and everything was fine. I upgraded to 2.9.4 which was the max. for my license. I tested it and it seemed fine.

I purchased the two additional controllers and the ELL's from LOR and also some new sequences from WOW Lights. I had been testing everything over the summer and it seemed fine.

Next the virus showed up that my anti virus software could not remove. After having it removed and system files repaired I still got the error that" LOR Mointor has encountered a problem and needs to close" which shuts down the show.

Then it was on to the used PC that I purchased and the upgrade to LOR 3.1.2 and all of my current problems.

I know I have repeated my self, but I'm still trying to make some sense out of this and what I need to do to get the show running.

Please let me know which HP model number you purchased. Did you select the one you purchased for a specific reason or just the cost? You mentioned paying $290.00. Was that just for the computer or was the monitor included?

gsxr7500 wrote:

Like i said too early with the new software to use this xmas maybe next year for me!!!!!

I thought Beta Testers liked to be on the cutting edge? :cool: