Light-O-Rama Forums

PC Kits not Gen 3

gizmomkr

Im really confused.

I THOUGHT all boards were Gen3 from this point on.

I thought that was all part of the huge back log... redesigning the boards and all.

It would appear I am sadly mistaken.

I ordered 1 ctb16pc kit (3 or 4 weeks ago) and it came today, but its clearly the same as the board I got last year.

Was there ever going to be or will there ever be a kit form of the gen 3 board ?

I know its mostly SMD, but I thought ALL boards would be gen3, and the "pc kit" would still need triacs and lugs soldered.

Am I crazy ?

My understanding is that once the inventory on hand is sold out, there will be a gen 3 kit with the triacs and spade lugs as the work to be done. Just not sold out yet, and there may not be enough price difference to actually support a gen 3 kit.

I just thought the summer sale had gotten rid of all inventory of older boards (obviously it did, as new boards were delayed) Im just a bit lost as to why they had more of the old boards made. Why do another run of the board that is being phased out.

Solder, or "you-builds", according to the last Product Update by Dan were always in stock and going to be Gen2 until they run out. I got two Gen2 boards a couple weeks ago. I am not runing LEDs so advanced diming curves or snubbers arent important to me, so Gen 2 is fine and almost $50 cheaper!!!

• 5 weeks later...

The word is that there will be a firmware update for Gen2 boards, to include custom dimming curves. It is unclear if it will increase then number of steps available in fading ramps, like on the Gen 3 controllers.

As of this time, there is no estimated date for the firmware that has been shared.

Someone(may've been Don) also said some of the Partners probably have the Gen2 kits still in stock. Just have to canvas them to see if they have old stock left..