Light-O-Rama Forums

RJ45 loose

MerryChristmasMississippi

A little help please? I have a controller that is a few years old and both RJ45 connectors have come loose. They seem to be held on from the bottom, but the top has come loose.

Is this something that I can solder together myself? I have a lot of experience with a soldering iron.

Larry

I just created a ticket with the LOR Help Desk with the same problem.

Here is the response I got from them:

If you're handy with a soldering iron, sometimes a quick heatup and a dab of solder on each connection can do the trick.  Be very careful not to create any solder bridges between connections.

If you're not too handy with a soldering iron (most people aren't) then the factory tech will do the magic:

You can send the controller to:

Light O Rama REPAIRS
22 Hudson Falls Rd.
Unit 52
South Glens Falls NY 12803

Include a description of the problem and a return shipping address.
Currently there is a 3 week backlog on repairs.

Once you get it fixed apply some hot glue to the connector where it meets the PCB. This will stop the problem from happening again.

I just had the same problem happen. Do you have to put any heat against the board or can you just get a little soldier to go on it???

jeffl wrote:

Once you get it fixed apply some hot glue to the connector where it meets the PCB. This will stop the problem from happening again.

yeah..mine had hot glue on them...

but my CAT 5 connector had those troublesome boots on it that make it difficult to unlatch....

damn boots!!!!

cvlrs2000 wrote:

I just had the same problem happen. Do you have to put any heat against the board or can you just get a little soldier to go on it???

I haven't tried it yet, but I was going to put heat to the board so I can try and push the pins deeper into the solder that is there...and hopefully make it a bit more secure to the board...

yeah I will probably try that also. I can get a connection but it only connects if it is at an angle. Im guessing that is when it finally connects to the board. Luckly I have a extra board I can replace it with if something happens.

jimswinder wrote:

but my CAT 5 connector had those troublesome boots on it that make it difficult to unlatch....

damn boots!!!!

I now use a 1 3/8" step drill bit to drill a 3/4" hole through any older cases (ctb16pc bottom where the new cases have a hole) so that it has a nice way to get the cat5 cable in.

http://www.harborfreight.com/2-piece-titanium-nitride-coated-high-speed-steel-step-drills-96275.html?utm_medium=cse&utm_source=googlebase&hft_adv=40010&mr:trackingCode=13780F9E-782A-E011-B31E-001B2163195C&mr:referralID=NA

jimswinder wrote:

jeffl wrote:
Once you get it fixed apply some hot glue to the connector where it meets the PCB.  This will stop the problem from happening again.

damn boots!!!!

I use a razor knife and cut away the rubber part of the boot around the release