Light-O-Rama Forums

Sadly I decided to not..

ToddH

Do anything with this year. I know its my 1st year in and 16 channels to start is fine. I have been so overwhelmed with other things that I have only had time to complete 3 songs and even then they are not impressing me enough to even display them.

A few weeks ago the cel/valve on my dishwasher went and low an behold woke up to a kitchen, living room, dinning room in about 1 foot of hot water that was running all night long...to top it all off, the entire area, all rooms mentioned are all wood flooring throughout....so been dealing with the insurance comp and few other things happened that just took me really out of the mood. I guess Im just venting cause I have not done so yet but man sometimes life sucks!! or rather moments in life!!

Not to mention that I really am not prepared light wise to go forward. I have 6 sets of 150ct LED Net lights of Green and one Blue. Got a bunch of rope light still, some White but not much an that's about it. Haven't built anything so...figured I will just start mid when the sales go on (speaking of which, when is a good time to shop for light sales?) and just get the 2nd controller that I wanted so have 32 maybe even 64 channels for next year. But oh well...bah humbug!

Sorry just had to vent...hope everyone has a great thanksgiving!!

Todd,
Sorry to hear all that. If you need some sequences to modify and try to get at least something going, you're welcome to download and modify any of mine.

I know they are 80 channel, but if they would help, feel free to download and maybe get something going when you might get back into then mood.

I know how those things can just get you down, been there a few times myself, but I still push on and glad I did.

Good luck on what you decide!

Here's the link to my sequences if they may be of any help to you:
http://cid-7d6d47dfa1c635ae.skydrive.live.com/redir.aspx?page=browse&resid=7D6D47DFA1C635AE!1240&type=6&Bsrc=EMSHGM&Bpub=SN.Notifications

PM me if you need any additional help with the above sequences.

Thanks Orville you have been one of the many who have always shown such warm welcome to us noobs but I will pass for now. My heads just not into it besides that I have to create something more universial as we not only celebrate xmas but also Hanukkah so been trying to work on a few songs that are not so much religious but more just about the spirit of the holidays this time of year....so just really creating stress where stress is not needed so decided to not worry about it this year, but again thank you for the kind words and offer. And thank you for the info for light sales...

The Pest wrote:

Best time for light's day after christmas and going try getting what ever you local big-box stores have when the go 50% or more off.

Be sure you know what you're buying. Not all big-box stores lights (LEDs) stand up to our kind of use.

Online pre-season sales of professional-grade LEDs occur around February so keep checking in after the first of the year.

Todd, Start looking at stores just before Christmas to check store inventories, see who has what you want, then you know where to go first thing day after. Start planning now what you think you will need.

Sometimes life deals us blows that are hard but never more than we can handle. While you may not have any sequences you can finish in time maybe you could just do an animation with some fades etc. At least you'll have lights out and LOR controlled. Sort of a preview to a BIG 2012! Watch for LED sales from CDI and others right after the first of the year.

Put some lights up, make them flash and twinkle and try to enjoy the season!

Last year I bought a couple strings of berry leds at shopko after Christmas. I didn't open them until recently to discover they are sealed leds. You can't replace the bulbs, but shouldn't need to since hopefully they can't rust. They are rather expensive now, but after Christmas...

Man that does suck!

But at least now you can start working on next year.

I have not completed this year's setup and I am already planning for next year.

CDI and others have preorder sales in the new year.

Good luck!

Todd, sorry to hear about all your problems. As for lights I agree with George sales on line in the early part of the year are the best way to go. I prefer CDI but there are other companies as well. Good luck and lighting in the future. Mel

totally feel your pain. 2 yrs ago found out i had a sinkhole (in Sinkhole City -sorry Plant City) and just they are just finishing the reapirs. almost 1 yr of construction! anyway, only 4th yr for me, but i could get with you to help you get going and show you the little that i know. PM if you want. i will say that when i got everything done the other night and 'tested' the show it did bring a smile and was all worth it.

chip

chipwdw wrote:

totally feel your pain. 2 yrs ago found out i had a sinkhole (in Sinkhole City -sorry Plant City) and just they are just finishing the reapirs. almost 1 yr of construction! anyway, only 4th yr for me, but i could get with you to help you get going and show you the little that i know. PM if you want. i will say that when i got everything done the other night and 'tested' the show it did bring a smile and was all worth it.

chip

You guys are great! thank you so much for the advice and kind words. I do appreciate it and know this too shall pass. I was talking with my kids the other night and my 8 year old daughter got so upset when I told her I wasn't going to be putting out lights this year, she offered to do the programing for me to help....

So I am going to put up some lights but not much and not sure if I will do music to it or just have an animation. Chip I will be sure to hit you up though to get some tips/tricks an ideas. Thank so much for the offer!!

And if you need any help not that I can be much of but just an extra set of hands ever just ask.

Glad to hear your kids set you back on your feet. I enjoy seeing my lights in static/animated mode almost as much when the music is going. It's definately easier.

ToddH wrote:

Not to mention that I really am not prepared light wise to go forward. I have 6 sets of 150ct LED Net lights of Green and one Blue.

Hi Todd,

If you are interested in having any display at all, I have some ideas for you...

Do you have 5 bushes in front of your house? If so, you could put your 5 green net lights on each one. I have 5 trees across the front of my diaplay, so the sequencing for them should easy to adapt to this 5 channel set-up.

If you do not have 5 bushes, I have an idea on how to easily make mini's out of them, so you could still have 5 trees and 5 channels.

Once you pique people's interest with 5 trees dancing to the music (there is a definite 'cool' factor with dancing lights)... you can say "Just wait 'til next year!!"

Let me know if you are interested. I think you can still enjoy something your first year, even if it is not as elaborate as you had hoped.

LORi

I feel your pain. I was all set to do my first show this year, but there was a big family issue that caused me to dip into my light budget, so now i'm just gonna throw up a few strings. I have all the lights, and half the display pre-built, but no controllers. On top of that, I decided to hold cause I just found out that I'm being moved from alaska to washington after the first of the year and moving is gonna be hecktic enough without having to tear down lights as well. Hopefully you at least get in the mood to decorate, if not go for a full out show. Best in luck with everything.

give me shout when you want to come see my set up... to quote another (thanks, Robin) I am not the biggest or the best but I have the most fun. Just got in from watching the show. tonight was the official opening. HAPPY HOLIDAYS!!!

chip

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks again to everyone who responded. LoriP thank you very much for the idea that I went with which brought a smile to my kids face. Now on a side note, we were told that we have to leave the house for a min of 10 days while this is going on...and guess when that is....right dead square in the middle of the holidays. Starting the weekend prior to Monday 19th we are to pack up and stay in a hotel for 10+ days which of course is all during this...so I have to shut down everything prior to us leaving and will be unmounting the controller to store away in a safe spot also, so looks as though the lighted part of my 1st season is being brought to a hault.

Oh well...could be worse I know! I did start on planning for next year already, and have planned to get together with a few lor semi local members for help with making these ideas come to reality.

Thank you all for your understanding/patience and helpfulness during my 1st stint with this hobby. Hopefully i didn't burn any bridges down yet :) and I also hope you all have a wonderful holiday be it Hanukkah, xmass, what ever you observe be it with friends/family and filled with laughter and good times!