Light-O-Rama Forums

CCR Repair

ryebred

I took one of my CCR's out of storage this year to test it out and it is behaving funny. I left them zip tied to the PVC pipe all year in a closet in our guest house. It looks like one of the zip ties pinched the connection between segments on the CCR and now that segment behaves funny. If I hold my finger on it then it works fine. If I take my finger off then sometimes it works for a bit and sometimes every pixel after that point fails to respond properly to the commands sent from the computer.

I was thinking about contacting LOR to see if I could get just a replacement ribbon without the controller and power supply. I am not sure how much that would cost. But I was also wondering if there was a way to fix it. It seems like I could cut open the covering on that spot and possibly lay some solder on top of the joint to firm it up a bit and then reseal with some silicone? Does anyone have any other ideas on how to fix?

ryebred wrote:

I took one of my CCR's out of storage this year to test it out and it is behaving funny. I left them zip tied to the PVC pipe all year in a closet in our guest house. It looks like one of the zip ties pinched the connection between segments on the CCR and now that segment behaves funny. If I hold my finger on it then it works fine. If I take my finger off then sometimes it works for a bit and sometimes every pixel after that point fails to respond properly to the commands sent from the computer.

I was thinking about contacting LOR to see if I could get just a replacement ribbon without the controller and power supply. I am not sure how much that would cost. But I was also wondering if there was a way to fix it. It seems like I could cut open the covering on that spot and possibly lay some solder on top of the joint to firm it up a bit and then reseal with some silicone? Does anyone have any other ideas on how to fix?
You have a broken solder joint on one of the parts where you are touching the CCR ribbon.

LOR this late in the game is your best option if the ribbon is still in warranty.

JBullard wrote:

LOR has replacement ribbons for sale on their web store

http://store.lightorama.com/cocorireri.html

Wow, only $30 cheaper than I paid for the whole package with the controller and power supply. I think I would try to repair it myself before purchasing a ribbon replacement. Is the warranty typically one year on these? It has been a year and a half since I purchased it. I will contact LOR and see what they say.

Has anyone had any luck doing their own repairs on these?

• The topic was locked