Light-O-Rama Forums

Well...it wasn't my Mega Tree that Fell...

jimswinder

just got word that my CCR tree just fell over...

when will I learn that the top of the roof is not a good place for tall trees...

and I had just put it up yesterday...must be a new record..even for me...

less than 12 hours....

pic below is me putting it up...

knowing how fragile the ribbons are, I would bet that not many of them survived...

Attached files 283103=15717-puttingitinplace.jpg

ouch..... Sorry man.. I give you a lot of credit though, after all the bashing we gave you from last years accident.. I hope everything is ok.. and can go right back up with some mods..

caniac wrote:

sorry man, any idea about the cause?

have no idea...no winds to speak of...

I didn't even have the ribbons "set" yet...they were all just hanging straight down against the mast...so not much of anything to catch any wind...

jimswinder wrote:

knowing how fragile the ribbons are, I would bet that not many of them survived...

OUCH. Hope the ribbons are OK.

Jerry

Mark Showalter wrote:

That bites! Sorry to hear that. We're going to all have to chip in and rent a civil engineer for you next year.

I think a straight jacket would be more suited... :P

jimswinder wrote:

Mark Showalter wrote:
That bites! Sorry to hear that. We're going to all have to chip in and rent a civil engineer for you next year.

I think a straight jacket would be more suited... :P

And the straight jacket is much cheaper...

Jim, sorry to hear about the disaster... Hope your CCRs and your roof both survived. I'm glad you were not involved with the fall.

Keep your chin up, and stay safe.

D.T.

So sorry to hear this. I sure hope your CCRs survived the fall. Let us know how they did in the crash test.

This time of the year is the worst for this hobby. Working out all the gremlins and dealing with disasters big & small are incredibly frustrating.

feature-frustration.gif

Guest Don Gillespie

jimswinder wrote:

when will I learn that the top of the roof is not a good place for tall trees...

less than 12 hours....

You know the funny thing here is you don,t look anything like your avatar LOL :D

Hope your CCRs are ok :)

I feel for ya, man this is supposed to be fun not a nightmare. lots of rain here and tripping gfis just one bank now so getting closer to fixing all the culprits..hope the ccrs make it out ok

jimswinder wrote:

caniac wrote:
sorry man, any idea about the cause?

have no idea...no winds to speak of...

I didn't even have the ribbons "set" yet...they were all just hanging straight down against the mast...so not much of anything to catch any wind...

Was the mast guyed though? If not, it wouldn't take much wind resistance (just the ribbons hanging) for it to knock it down. What a bummer. Any damage reports yet?

Don Gillespie wrote:

You know the funny thing here is you don,t look anything like your avatar LOL :)

I dunno know..I think Beaker and I were twins separated at birth!! :shock:

jimswinder wrote:

less than 12 hours....

I knew this looked familiar...

Attached files 283340=15725-images.jpeg

jimswinder wrote:

just got word that my tree just fell over...

Geez Jim, you know how I hate to pile on... but I almost wet myself when I read that earlier today. In fact, it stayed with me all afternoon and every time I thought of it, and the perverse new Christmas tradition you seem to be creating around here, I couldn't help but snort out another laugh... There's nobody does it like you!

I've got a light panel that hangs on the front of the garage that went dark and I'm treating getting the ladder out like it's a hangnail or something, and here you come along and help put it back in perspective. Thanks.

Well....I tested all the ribbons while they were still on the roof...no sense bringing them down if they all work right??? LOL

And they all seem to work, other than Ribbon #12 which has a bad power supply.

BUT, as I was testing them one by one (and just tested them all on with a simple chase, so just white) each one worked, but when I got to # 7, #6 would be doing spastic things (takes after me I guess!! :P)..and when I tested #8 thru #11 #6 would still do it's own thing...so I am guessing one of the CAT5 cables came loose and it is just a data issue...sound reasonable?

And yes, Surfing4Dough it was a "guy wire" problem (well lack of enough). I was in my typical, "it's getting dark, I am tired, I want to get this thing up and I will finish it properly tomorrow" attitude" and it cost me. I TOLD myself not to put it up because I was not entirely ready...but I don't listen to myself most of the time...I am my own worst enemy. I even told a friend of mine who was helping me that I shouldn't be putting this up...I need better friends that will STOP ME!!!! LOL

Anyway...looks like the only damage done was it bent my base plates a little, so hopefully, will get that fixed tonight and get it erected PROPERLY on Thanksgiving morning...

LEARN FROM MY MISTAKES PEOPLE!!!

I'm here to help out...so just do it the opposite of me!!! :D

I thought of a new user id for myself...

THE MASTER OF DISASTER !! :P

Attached files 283410=15734-CCR Tree.JPG