Light-O-Rama Forums

New Enttec setup help

jerrymac

Just received Enttec Pro, installed drivers and utility, tested dmx rgb output to 3 channel controller and (3) 5050 modules. All works fine (colors change etc).
LOR 3.1.2 Advanced, Set network prefrences to Enttec Pro. opened control panel (listener show connection to enttec). added RGB channel to empty animation sequence, set devicetype to DMX, set universe and and circuit (O.K).
set simple rgb fade (dmx). set control light to on.
run sequence NO output (flashing green light on Enttec shows power ok).
"What am I Missing ?"

The flashing green light does not indicate that power is OK. Well, it does, but it also indicates more than that: It indicates that the ENTTEC adapter has received a DMX command from the host and has started broadcasting it to the DMX devices.

Perhaps it received it from LOR (pretty much the first thing the LOR Comm Listener does when it opens up a DMX adapter is to send it an "all lights off" command on the specified universe), in which case my first guess would be that perhaps the problem lies with either your controller or a mismatch between the controller's universe/address and what the sequence is set as.

However, perhaps the adapter received the command earlier, from your test program, rather than from LOR. So:

(1) Perhaps that test program still has the adapter open? In which case LOR wouldn't be able to open it.

(2) Does the LOR Comm Listener output any error messages? If so, exactly what do they say?

(3) Same question as #2, but about the LOR Control Panel's status window.

(4) If you unload the LOR control panel, then unplug the adapter's USB cable, then plug it back in, what happens to the adapter's LED? It should turn off when you unplug it, of course, but when you plug it back in, does it start blinking again, or remain off?

If it starts blinking again, then something has sent it a DMX command. I would suggest finding that thing and stopping it.

If it does not start blinking again, then please try starting up the LOR Control Panel again, at which point it should start blinking. If it does, then that would indicate that LOR has successfully sent at least one DMX command to it, in which case I would again suggest checking things like the sequence's universe/address vs. the controller's.

bob wrote:

The flashing green light does not indicate that power is OK. Well, it does, but it also indicates more than that: It indicates that the ENTTEC adapter has received a DMX command from the host and has started broadcasting it to the DMX devices.

Perhaps it received it from LOR (pretty much the first thing the LOR Comm Listener does when it opens up a DMX adapter is to send it an "all lights off" command on the specified universe), in which case my first guess would be that perhaps the problem lies with either your controller or a mismatch between the controller's universe/address and what the sequence is set as.

However, perhaps the adapter received the command earlier, from your test program, rather than from LOR. So:

(1) Perhaps that test program still has the adapter open? In which case LOR wouldn't be able to open it.

(2) Does the LOR Comm Listener output any error messages? If so, exactly what do they say?
No Error
listener message is DMX 1 [iNFO] EN092514: DMX PRO adapter opened
When sequence editor started Listening on port 8837
Connection accepted (340)
Connection accepted (544)

(3) Same question as #2, but about the LOR Control Panel's status window.
only note is Light O Rama 3/1/2 is currently disabled. (no controller other than DMX currently plugged in and no scheule or show set up_
(4) If you unload the LOR control panel, then unplug the adapter's USB cable, then plug it back in, what happens to the adapter's LED? It should turn off when you unplug it, of course, but when you plug it back in, does it start blinking again, or remain off?
Remains OFF

If it starts blinking again, then something has sent it a DMX command. I would suggest finding that thing and stopping it.

If it does not start blinking again, then please try starting up the LOR Control Panel again, at which point it should start blinking. If it does, then that would indicate that LOR has successfully sent at least one DMX command to it, in which case I would again suggest checking things like the sequence's universe/address vs. the controller's.
When controller and pixels are powered and no DMX signal they go into a test sequence (cycle all colors). Once control panel is started pixels go off and enttec green light starts to flash

It seems the problem has something to do with the "Control Lights" function. When turned on it appears to turn off as soon as the play sequence button is selected. The button will remain on once set until "Play" is selected. I created a show and scheduled the show to play and the RGB lights worked as expected (except they ONLY work if the USB 485 converter is pluged in, even though no controllers are pluged in to the converter).
So the qestion is "why will the control lights button not stay selected"?

We ran into that during beta testing, the LOR adapter has to be connected to get the "blue" box in the lower right hand corner of the monitor. The blue box allows the SE to "latch" the control lights button.

That (connecting the 485 converter) solved the issue. Lesson,connect enttec, connect 485 adapter then select "control lights".

thanks

• The topic was locked